Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 355 small block that is rated at 350 HP and 380 TQ. Would like to get it as close to the 400-450HP and 400-450 TQ range without changing the cam, if that would even be possible. I have the intake manifold off to fix a vacuum leak so I thought now would be a good time. Basically I am thinking I can only change out the heads and intake? Another problem is that I am not sure how to tell which cc heads I have, 76 cc or 67cc? Here are the specs on the engine:

Late Model 350 Block 1 piece rear seal
Bored .30 over & decked
Honed w/ torque plates
Cam .501/.512 lift, 224/230 duration, 111 deg lobe center
1.5 Aluminum roller rockers
World S/R Torquer heads w/ Manley 2.02 Intake / 1.60 Exhaust(Dont know if these are the 67cc or the 76cc head?)
Flat top Hypereutetic Pistons w/ moly rings
9-1 Compression(This is what was stated for the engine but I do not know for sure)
Edelbrock EPS Intake
650 Edelbrock AVS Carb
Fully balanced
All ARP bolts
Forged crank and rods also.

What would be a good option and a good cost effective way to get it as close to 450HP and 450TQ? I do not want to go with nitrous or a supercharger. Has a 2004R with 2500 Stall Converter, 3.55 rear now, but may be switching to 3.73. Thanksfor the help

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I have a 355 small block that is rated at 350 HP and 380 TQ. Would like to get it as close to the 400-450HP and 400-450 TQ range without changing the cam, if that would even be possible. I have the intake manifold off to fix a vacuum leak so I thought now would be a good time. Basically I am thinking I can only change out the heads and intake? Another problem is that I am not sure how to tell which cc heads I have, 76 cc or 67cc? Here are the specs on the engine:

Late Model 350 Block 1 piece rear seal
Bored .30 over & decked
Honed w/ torque plates
Cam .501/.512 lift, 224/230 duration, 111 deg lobe center
1.5 Aluminum roller rockers
World S/R Torquer heads w/ Manley 2.02 Intake / 1.60 Exhaust(Dont know if these are the 67cc or the 76cc head?)
Flat top Hypereutetic Pistons w/ moly rings
9-1 Compression(This is what was stated for the engine but I do not know for sure)
Edelbrock EPS Intake
650 Edelbrock AVS Carb
Fully balanced
All ARP bolts
Forged crank and rods also.

What would be a good option and a good cost effective way to get it as close to 450HP and 450TQ? I do not want to go with nitrous or a supercharger. Has a 2004R with 2500 Stall Converter, 3.55 rear now, but may be switching to 3.73. Thanksfor the help
Small blower....a 142

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually looked into the Weiand 142, which I think is the smallest, lowest sitting supercharger. But since I am not 100 % sure if it is 9.1 compression ratio I did not want to go with the supercharger. I think even at 9.1 comp ratio that woould be to high for a supercharger.

Small blower....a 142

·
Registered
238 Posts
Since you do not want to use nitrous or a supercharger it will not be possible to achieve your horsepower and torque goals without changing the camshaft and intake manifold, increasing the static compression ratio, and performing at least some basic port/bowl work to your cylinder heads.

If you only want to perform minimal modifications then you're pretty much limited to upgrading to a Performer RPM intake manifold and some 1.6 ratio rocker arms. These changes should net an improvement of approximately 10 - 12 horsepower.

If you're wanting to improve the performance of your combination without modifying the engine or only performing bolt-on modifications then I suggest installing a 10" torque converter that will provide around 2,800 - 3,000 RPM of flash stall speed and changing to a 3.73 or 4.11 rear gear set. With the 200-4R transmission you have the benefits of a lock-up torque converter and overdrive, so you can afford to run quite a bit more stall speed and more gear ratio while still maintaining outstanding drivability and efficiency. The converter and gear change will net you a significantly larger gain in performance than any basic modifications that you could perform to your engine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, maybe a better way to ask is which heads and intake manifold could I switch to in order to get the most over the 400 HP and 400 TQ mark?

·
Registered
238 Posts
AFR 195's, Brodix IK 200's, or Edelbrock E-Tec 200's are all good head choices to help you get to your goals. 64cc chamber is a must.

Performer RPM intake with 1" open carb spacer.

1.6 ratio rocker arms.

4777 or 4778 Holley carb.

400+ horsepower should be possible with your current cam profile and the above upgrades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts