Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of removing my subframe, with the engine and trans still installed. When the sub is unbolted, how well balanced is the subframe? Can one person hold the rear of the subframe to roll out from the car? I don't want the rear of the sub to crash to the ground. Any other little helpfull tips appreciated.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
not a good idea with the motor installed it would be better to remove the motor / trans all together and then the subframe i understand your trying to take a short cut but it could lead to someone getting hurt ............... probably me :yes:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I can be done, but you will need something to hold tha back up. Most of the weight is behind the centerline of the front axle.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
sub-frame removal...

it is an easy task if you have the correct set of casters...you will need to install them on the back side of the sub-frame with the weight supported. Wayne at NNN has made some up and I think he will sell you a set...try contacting him....the ones he makes work great. This is also the best way to reinstall the driveline after a resto. it is very easy to do all the detailing to the engine, trans, rad support....etc....and then just roll it in.

wilma

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Yeah you can do it. Just support the front and back of the sub like it was all by itself, including the tail of the tranny, think of it as completely removed before you do it and where the stands need to be. And no, yer not gonna be holding the back end up, unless you can carry around a full tranny with some engine block attached. Dont forget to support the rest of the car too. I have 12 jack stands, I use them all. JR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts