Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey new to the forum. I have a 1972 nova, I took the subframe out and painted undercarriage along with frame and putting lowering springs on it. What is the process for making sure its on right, i know you dont have much play room once you use the alignment hole and have bolts in. How would you see to make sure frame is on there square and aligned how it is supposed to be? Should i take it to a frame shop after bolting it on and let them check, or its not that bad to do yourself.

·
Registered
458 Posts
im needing the same info, ive tried searching, but all the treads are old, and the links in them are dead.

·
Registered
482 Posts
thats it. just the alignment holes from the frame to the body. you could square it with a tape measure if you wanted. when I did my 69 camaro. I just used the holes and my friend that did the wheel alignment said it was pretty close and no worries.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
thats it. just the alignment holes from the frame to the body. you could square it with a tape measure if you wanted. when I did my 69 camaro. I just used the holes and my friend that did the wheel alignment said it was pretty close and no worries.
No! :no: :no: This is only a rough guesstimate.

From Chris Alston's Chassisworks:

Aligning the Subframe
OEM subframes are easily aligned on the assembly line by using fixtures and two locator pins. Without the fixtures used by Chevrolet, the locator pins only serve as a rough guide and the subframe will still need to be properly aligned. The method utilized in this manual will align the subframe to the rear suspension by eliminating the potential alignment misgivings caused by distortion of the body due to accidents or body sag. This ensures the front and rear suspension is aligned to each other.

To align the subframe, first install these items on both the driver and passenger side:
 Upper control arms
 Lower control arms
 Knuckles

Next, raise the knuckle to the approximate ride height (hub centerline even with bottom of chassis main rail), and set to zero toe. Zero toe is simply rotating the knuckle until the hub face is square with the chassis. This can be done by clamping a 2’ length of angle iron to the hub, and measuring from each end to a flat area on the chassis. When the measurements from both sides are equal, the hub is square.

To ensure accuracy also raise the rear axle to the approximate right height. Now, check the wheelbase at both sides, and move the subframe until the wheelbase is +/- 1/4” of factory specs. If the subframe is difficult to move, slightly loosen the mounting bolts. Ultimately, fender placement and personal preference may dictate where the spindle centerline will be.

Once the wheelbase is satisfactory, it is time to check squareness between the body and subframe. Proper datums to use are the lower control arm bolt heads and either the leaf spring locating pins or the alignment holes located on the rear frame rails just ahead of the front spring mount. Measure diagonally between these points and adjust the subframe until both measurements are within 1/8”. The subframe can be adjusted slightly by a firm hit with the palm of your hand or a rubber mallet. Once the measurements are square, re-check the wheelbase. If the wheelbase remains within tolerance, tighten the subframe mounting bolts. If not, repeat the alignment process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts