Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys? I've got an issue here with my 78 sitting WAY too low! It originally had the L6 now has a small block. I went to add headers and 3in exhaust, but when i sat the car on the ground the header collectors are only a couple inches off the ground and i noticed everything else in the front (subframe included) is low as well. I installed air shocks in the rear, but im wondering what i can do to raise up the front. Someone said new coil overs, big block springs, new bushings...but all that sounds like it just will raise the body. Measures about 4 inches from the ground to under the shock. ALL help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Sup guys? I've got an issue here with my 78 sitting WAY too low! It originally had the L6 now has a small block. I went to add headers and 3in exhaust, but when i sat the car on the ground the header collectors are only a couple inches off the ground and i noticed everything else in the front (subframe included) is low as well. I installed air shocks in the rear, but im wondering what i can do to raise up the front. Someone said new coil overs, big block springs, new bushings...but all that sounds like it just will raise the body. Measures about 4 inches from the ground to under the shock. ALL help is appreciated.
If those rusty old springs are the originals, you could probably use some new ones. Search the archive on this site (Search field near the top of the page), there are several good thread about springs for your 4th Generation Nova.

Here's one good thread that I found in the archives that includes part #s.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370825

I would suggest getting some new coils (coil-overs are not necessary). While you're at it, you should inspect the rest of the suspension parts (ball joints, tie rod ends, upper & lower control arm bushings, and subframe mounts bushings). If you're going to have the front end apart to replace the springs, it's a good time to overhaul the rest of the suspension.

Select your new springs according to how you will drive the car most of the time. For example, don't get big block springs unless you want the front ride height to be way up, and you want a harsh ride. New stock or heavy duty springs will raise the ride height quite a bit compared to old sagging stock springs.

Hope this helps.

Gerry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot Gerry! I have the adjustable shocks in the back, that's the only reason i considered big block shocks. These are not the original from what i would assume, i don't think they used Monroe shocks in the coils from the factory lol. It'll mostly be casually driven and street raced, 80/20.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts