Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question... Is it easier to install engine and gearbox back on to the subframe and fit back to the body or install subframe first and get it all square with out any added weight like engine / suspension etc and then do the engine install...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Subframe first

I think the subframe first alone would be best. I've seen some with the core support put on after the engine. Then the transmission. Good luck!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Check this video out on you tube. Have to copy and paste below

1967 Firedbird Subframe By Scared Shiftless Part 2

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check this video out on you tube. Have to copy and paste below

1967 Firedbird Subframe By Scared Shiftless Part 2
Thanks Bud... did a search on the tube and the same guys have done a 70 Nova... much appreciated... looks like everything being installed on to subframe first and rolled into place... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,530 Posts
My intentions are to install the whole front clip without the engine and tranny on my '65 first to get a feel for how it will sit according to measurements that I found in the '65 Body Service Manual ST-58 pg 4A3. My idea is to get it all set up, pull the front clip again and then finally install the engine and tranny for a final installation of the front clip. My car had some RH front damage at a very early time in it's history so I want to make sure all the sheet metal is right before going on to the engine and drivetrain installation.

I am working by myself so this looks like the easiest way to go.

So far I haven't been able to find a video of a 1st & 2nd gen. front clip installation and setup. It sure would have be nice if someone had done one. I like the idea of a jack stand and wheel dolly under the tranny when reinstalling the engine and tranny.

If any of you guys that did remove your front clips would have any info you'd like to pass along to us about getting it all aligned, it will be greatly appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts