Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to install my subframe connectors on the racecar:rolleyes: Are there any suggestions as to how to have the car setting or jacked up when you bolt them on. I will weld them later. They are Competition Engineering from jegs. In my infinite wisdom when I poured the floor in the garage(1994) I put a 2 " drop to the center and a 3" from back to front. So don't know if this will affect me or not. I read a post here somewhere and it said that he had the car jacked up a little to increase the effect. Any info will be appreciated Thanks Lance

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I always level the car so there is no load on anything when I get done and it's back on the ground. The object of strengthing the chassis is to reduce flex so why build loads into it. JMHO. RM

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I just put them on my 71 Nova. Easy install. The problem I had was with the leaf spring perch bolts. The clips that slide into the frame rail were old and crusty. I had to pinch the front mount a little to slide into my subframe. I also bought some longer grade 8 bolts for the leaf spring mount.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
just make sure if you have to have it jacked up that you do so on the suspension so that the chassis is sitting like it would at rest, use the lower control arms and the diff as jacking points and put the jackstands under maybe the balljoints if you can and on the leaf springs on the back.....we have put subframe connectors on newer cars while on the lift, using the rocker pinch as a lift point, but for an older car there may be a lot of flex and you could end up having it flex welding them in and keeping it there...

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
YEp, Just support everything on the suspension as stated above, and you'll be fine. Support it from the axles.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
What I did was installed them with no rearend and springs. Raise the car by the body, get them inplace and then support by the axle and tighten it all down. I also did some quick measurments make sure it's close and you should be good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts