Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems like I saw this topic before but i searched and searched but could not find it.

I want to get some global west subframe connectors and they are weld in only. I dont know how to weld and dont have a welder. How much do you think it will cost me to have a shop weld them in? It just requires a bead around 2 rectangular plates at each end of the connector mating it to the front subframe and rear spring perches.

Also is there any benefit to haveing the car on a lift or jacked up in the middle when the connectors are put on to kinda strengthen/straighten the body? or is it best to have it done sitting normal?

thanks

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I dont know what it will cost you but you can do some prep work yourself and save a few bucks. Make sure the area around the connector mating surfaces is clean bare metal. Also, REMOVE YOUR CARPET! Its best to weld them in with the car sitting as it normally would- a drive on 4 post hoist works best. Also, dont get the leaf spring perch too hot when welding(little at a time with a wet rag works well) or your rubber bushings will go to mush.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Check out my post oin Drivetrain and Performance on my mini tub update. We tied the frame to the new backhalf. It'll be worth it to have someone weld them in for you. But, my car still flexed a little when my chassis guy was jacking it up. Until he tied the roll bar into the rear frame rail. Now it's solid as a rock. I guess it all depends what your final plans are going to be. Mine will be for street or strip to start, then race only but still be street legal. Just for sh*** and giggles. Dave

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a daily driver that will see the strip maybe a couple times a year. I figure I can be happy with just the sub connectors. It's a 4 door too so that might help deter flexability as well.

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
If you are going to weld the connectors in you might want to think about getting new subframe bushings too...they are pretty tough to change out once the connectors are welded in so you might want to do them before the welding starts...just a thought...;) :)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
when my connectors were welded in it seems the left side didn't want to fit as nice as the right side...so the shop bashed my spring perch ta allow the connector in... the leaf eye bushings were way shot and loose...

when i got the car home and removed the differential, replaced bushings, springs etc etc etc... i found the spring was NOW in a bind.... all because of a bent perch...

make sure everything's in good shape before ya weld in the perches... hang the springs and confirm it's all lined up and in good shape... i'd not wish you the headaches with your project i'm having with mine...

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I took mine to a place that did it right. Just as others have outlined, no carpet, everything straight to begin with and a 4 wheel lift. Welding in increments.

It was between $60-$100, depending if you wanted a good weld vs a "show quality" weld.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts