Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while ago I got subframe connectors off ebay. I think they were by Competition Engineering. The mounting holes for the rear didn't really line up, so I only mounted one or two bolts per side. :eek:

I want to get some Cal-Tracs in a few weeks and I figure if I do that I should try to get these things lined up. So what's the best way to elongate the holes in 1/8-1/4" steel? I only have access to hand tools and a few power/air tools, so I can't really do much. :(

I saw some connectors by Global West that look like they're much higher quality and are contoured to fit the floor pan (unlike my current ones), so I was also thinking of just getting those. The ones I have now are like 1" square tubing, and the GW ones are round tubing, not sure on the diameter.

For my last question, does anybody know the size of the bolts for the front mount of the rear spring? Like I said, I'm only using one or two per side, and I don't know what I did with the remaining ones, so I'm going to buy some new longer ones that will fit through the spring, subframe connectors, and Cal-Tracs mounts (unless the Cal-Tracs come with all the hardware??)

Thanks for any and all help guys. :)

Matt

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i am not familiar with the CE subframe connectors, but most subframe connectors will need to have the floor modified to make them fit, i like them cause they have no curves or notches, just straight strong metal....if you can't do it right, take it to someone that can and has the tools to do it correctly....or you could buy a bolt on one that needs little to no mods:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was thinking. The GW ones are contoured so it's easier for them to bend, or at least it seems that way to me. That's why I want to elongate the holes on these ones if I can. I mean it's easy to get them in and out now, cuz I think I pressed the floor in a little bit when I first put them in. :eek:

Maybe I'll take them to a muffler shop and see if they can take a plasma cutter to them or something? Would they even have plasma cutters, lol?

Matt

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You can elongate holes with a good rat-tail file it just takes time, patience, and a couple blisters. This is the buget way of doing it, but it will work. If you weld in your subframe connectors you may want to swap to solid body mounts since if you ever have to change them it will be a pain in the you know what with welded in subframe connectors.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
you may want to swap to solid body mounts since if you ever have to change them it will be a pain in the you know what with welded in subframe connectors.
Tell me about it:mad: ...I have welded in connectors and subframe bushings in dire need of change...When I do change them I will be going to the solid bushings so I never have to change them again...once is MORE then enough for this task:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts