Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have badly corroded subframe bushing holes in my 1973 350cu Nova, can anyone tell me what is the size of hole in rear of front subframe (green line) and position of the hole to the end of subframe (red line)?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Looking at mine, the 4 bushing hole diameters vary from 1 9/16" to just about 1 5/8". The distance from the rear holes to end of subframe varies between 3/4" to 13/16" . The diameter of the rubber body bushings that I'll will be installing measure 1 1/2" where they rest in the subframe holes. Kits are available to make repairs from several parts suppliers if needed.

·
6,556 Posts
I have to think the below info for a 1968 Chevy II Nova subframe is the same for the models from 1968-1974:

The above is from my 1968 shop manual and I have to think this info would also be in a 1973 shop manual.

Personally I would get the 2 shop manuals for the year you are working on.

On my 74 I have the old factory shop manual and the body by Fisher manual and while I have yet to look real hard, there may also be an assembly manual (which I bought as a reprint for my 68). These books or manuals are invaluable and worth the investment.

Jim

·
Registered
866 Posts
Use the above dimensions to precisely place your fillers/patches. Note your dimensions are Center of hole to Center of hole.
Take your time and get this right.
Easy way to do it- Take your plate material that you are going to make the patch from. Drill an 1/8" hole in the approximate center where the bushing hole will be. Now using the dimensions above locate your patch pieces using the 1/8" hole as the center of the bushing hole. Tack patches in place, double and triple check your measurements. Once you are dead sure all of the 1/8" holes are correctly located as center of the bushing, weld your plates in place. Come back in with the appropriately sized hole saw and bring them to finished size.
Much easier to center up on a 1/8" hole than a 1-9/16" hole.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looking at mine, the 4 bushing hole diameters vary from 1 9/16" to just about 1 5/8". The distance from the rear holes to end of subframe varies between 3/4" to 13/16" . The diameter of the rubber body bushings that I'll will be installing measure 1 1/2" where they rest in the subframe holes. Kits are available to make repairs from several parts suppliers if needed.
Do you have a link. I have a similar issue. But mines are bent. Maybe from too much power or abuse. On one side the mount surfaces looks to have bent down a half inch. When i got the car the subfram was only held on by to bolts. So the others must have snapped

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have to think the below info for a 1968 Chevy II Nova subframe is the same for the models from 1968-1974:

The above is from my 1968 shop manual and I have to think this info would also be in a 1973 shop manual.

Personally I would get the 2 shop manuals for the year you are working on.

On my 74 I have the old factory shop manual and the body by Fisher manual and while I have yet to look real hard, there may also be an assembly manual (which I bought as a reprint for my 68). These books or manuals are invaluable and worth the investment.

Jim
wish i had that diagram 6 months ago... as no one down here really has any idea about Nova's... thanks Jim.. will send it to the fabricator to check measurements against that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts