Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the day aligning my sub-frame. Just curious what others have experienced. I saw a online video stating to set up 112" wheel base both sides then measure the body pinch weld to the sub-frame for 5" on both sides. All are un-achievable. I can only stretch 111-1/2" out of the wheel base equally on both sides. I caulk that up to after market leaf springs and control arms. As for the 5" on each side I cannot make that happen either as cage nuts are maxed to one side already and I can't make it go any further. There's about a 3/8" difference between each side. Am I trying to slice hairs? Is the pinch weld a reliable measuring point to the sub-frame? Anybody have experiences with the same? Thank you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Could offer you to sent a copy of the Fisher body manual with the exact measurements and points to measure.

But earliest tomorrow as I’m on a business trip

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ exotec - Thank you for your response, I do have the manual with the frame alignment specs. Even with those measurements it really does not address the relation of the aligned frame to the body. I guess as long as the frames are aligned it will properly track down the road and I will position the body the best I can as the mounting points allow. As long as I can get all the sheet metal gaps to align I wont worry about it. You do see posts where some members comment on a difference with respect to the tire and the fender causing rubbing because of unequal spacing on each side. Is 3/8 of an inch between each side really going to matter other than messing with my OCD, lol.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
there are alinement holes next to the body mount by the firewall, I have two pins I use in there to get it close, then I center it with the pinch weld, and make sure it is the same wheel center to center on each side.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,837 Posts
there are alinement holes next to the body mount by the firewall, I have two pins I use in there to get it close, then I center it with the pinch weld, and make sure it is the same wheel center to center on each side.

J M

I'd go with what Wade says ...... maybe "all pinch welds are not the same (meaning - as old as these cars , some measurements are going to be different) ...... but, maybe close enough. Then, measure from front wheel hub to the rear axle centerline, on each side. I think that I could live with that .............. good luck.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J M

I'd go with what Wade says ...... maybe "all pinch welds are not the same (meaning - as old as these cars , some measurements are going to be different) ...... but, maybe close enough. Then, measure from front wheel hub to the rear axle centerline, on each side. I think that I could live with that .............. good luck.
Thanks for the responses. I do have equal center to center wheelbase each side and the alignment holes are lined up, just cant get centered with the pinch weld side to side. Between the frame and the body there is no way I can physically do it because the body mount bolt are over as far as they can go. I will finish the assembly and see what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts