Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 77 that was wrecked in the front end. I thought it just needed a bumper, but when I tried to put on my new rims the tire hit the fender on the wrecked side. I need at new sub-frame. I know where 2 are, a nova concource with no front end, easy to get out, but I don't know if it is wrecked. Does anyone have measurements for the frame rail. Or there is an olds omega that has all the front end parts. What would you guys do?
Thanks Roy

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would check the mounting points for damage and make sure the unit body is straight and then go from there. I don't have any measurements, I would think they would be in the body manual.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I have a subframe out and on stands in the garage. What measurements do you want, I'll get them for you. I also have an extra Fisher Body Manual for a 75 it has all the dimensions in it and your 77 will be the same. If you want the manual I'll make you a good deal on it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I posted Frame Charts on my site:

Frame Specifications

It lists diagrams with vertical and horizontal dimensions for the front and rear sub-frame.

I also have 2 good sub-frames if you need one. Not sure where in Indiana you are, but if everything works out, I will be passing through Indianapolis next month. Both are out of unwrecked 4 doors that have been parted out. Both will probably need to be blasted or at least cleaned up real good.

If you need it now, I can strip it bare and have it freight shipped, but that's probably going to be pretty costly. I'm not exactly sure what it weighs either.

Just let me know and we can probably work something out if you can't find one closer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Just wondering i tore the front end off and looked and the frame doesn't look twisted. What could cause the tire to touch the fender?The spring is sagging could that do it? Or maybe a bad control arm? Any ideas? thanks roy:chev:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Each type of accident is different, so without pics we can't tell. Could be anything from a twisted subframe to an A-arm torn off the mount to the unibody mounts.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Roy where and how was the tire rubbing on the fender? The frame may not be the problem, the upper and/or lower control arms may be tweaked, the ball joints or bushings could be worn out or all of the above. If you now have your sheetmetal off can you compare your measurements to the Nova Concourse that has the metal removed? If you can and the measurements are the same (or really close) it is probably not a bent sub frame. If you need one the Concourse or Omega frame will work well. Here is a photo of my 77 Nova subframe and as you can see it is drilled for every engine type that could have been installed. The dark square was the position of the Chevy mount and it bolted thru the 3 circled holes.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts