Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok... probably a stupid question, and for that, I apologize up front. But, if I install rear coil overs, do I still need leaf springs? I want to upgrade the rear suspension, and was going to purchase multi-leaf springs, but got to thinking about coil-overs instead. Then, my mind starting wondering if they are mutually exclusive or what?

I currently have single leafs and it looks to me like the previous owner also installed coil overs, which leads me to believe they are both necessary. Either that or the PO didn't know either.

EDIT: After further review, I believe the current setup is coil assisted shocks, not full coilovers.

Thanks in advance and sorry if it's a dumb question. Alot has changed on these old cars since my HS days in the 70's

Mike

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
there are a couple definitions of a coil over... one is a coil assist spring on a shock and the other is a coil spring & shock, separate, but in one unit...

for weak leafs many use air shocks, extended shackles or coil assist/overload shocks... all are band-aide repairs for worn out leaf springs.

a coil over shock is generally used in high perf/street rod applications in place of leaf springs... you can replace your mono leafs with replacements, upgrade to Multi-Leafs and then use a quality shock and you'll be good to go. for street/touring etc an adjustable shock can be used to tailor the valving for the style of driving you choose...

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Also you can not use coil overs and eliminate the leaf spring without replacing it without something else - think 4 link - something to keep the axle located properly. The coil over will take the weight of the car - but not keep the axle in place - if that makes sense.

I also do not think the stock upper shock mounting location is built to hold the weight of the car...

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Im sure my current setup (previous owner) is coil assisted shocks. I also got to thinking after posting that something would still have to take the place of the springs to keep everything aligned as 65 Nova says.

Im not prepared to spring for a 4 link, so I think I'll keep on my path of replacement springs and quality shocks. Im not a fan of shackles or air shocks as a fix, although I will admit having done that in the past myself.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
coil over

Go to adjustable coil overs... adjust to your own suspension needs... no headaches, broken air supply lines or bad O-rings. Cheap and dependable . I did the air shock route when they were the best alternative to stock gas shocks, and was going to use them again in my new project but just found a new set of coil over set on ebay, $100.00, bolted right in, but I am keeping the mono springs to carry the weight of the car.. I am building a performance 327 / 350 automatic street car that will never see a drag strip and don't need fancy 4 link system.
Yeah, AIR RIDE if you are financially STABLE..:devil:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Go to adjustable coil overs... adjust to your own suspension needs... no headaches, broken air supply lines or bad O-rings. Cheap and dependable . I did the air shock route when they were the best alternative to stock gas shocks, and was going to use them again in my new project but just found a new set of coil over set on ebay, $100.00, bolted right in, but I am keeping the mono springs to carry the weight of the car.. I am building a performance 327 / 350 automatic street car that will never see a drag strip and don't need fancy 4 link system.
Bbqrat, where'd u pick up that sick custom "nova"differential cover? Can u get em with a drain and the bolts that help keep the caps in place? I see it has the reinforcing ribs. Nice, never seenn that before.:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
cover

I found it on ebay about 4 years ago, they also offered the SS logo intead of NOVA, I don't know if they offered drain plug option..

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if the Shocks/Leafs are worn and sagging, the car bottoming out and he installs coil-overs then all he's doing is band-aiding the problem... his shocks/leafs are shot... the type coil over you seem to be talking about is a coil-assist. that would assist the leaf bear the weight of the car... if he replaces his weak springs and installs just the adjustable QA1's then he's repairing the weak parts... then the coil-overs aren't needed...

installing coil-overs on the front of a 1st gen can be done, you'll replace the existing coil and shock and install the coil/shock assembly, but on the rear coil-overs are used when leafs aren't used, the coil overs take the place of the leafs... so it kinda seems you're band-aiding too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts