Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built my motor and when I broke it in I found oil pooling up on the block right behing the driverside head. First thought it was the intake changed the gaskets and the leak is still there. if the head gasket isn't sealed good enough can it seep oil? I'm running out of options here. Thanks for the help. Oh, I used summit metal/felt gaskets and i sprayed the metal side w copper spray-a-gasket.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I built my motor and when I broke it in I found oil pooling up on the block right behing the driverside head. First thought it was the intake changed the gaskets and the leak is still there. if the head gasket isn't sealed good enough can it seep oil? I'm running out of options here. Thanks for the help. Oh, I used summit metal/felt gaskets and i sprayed the metal side w copper spray-a-gasket.:confused::confused:
Check your oil pressure sending unit. It could be leaking there.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
What are you using for gaskets on the front and back of the block between the intake?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Get a mirror and see if you have a seal from the back of the intake to the block. Depending on the engine it can require a lot of rtv to build up enough to seal it.
Other things to check. The oil pressure sender, and the valve cover gaskets. If it's none of those there's an off chance that there's oil coming through the threads of a head bolt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first thought was the sending unit fitting changed it and used thread sealer, then I figured the intake gaskets changed those too. The first time around I used only rtv then the valley gaskets, didn't change anything. I know for a fact that the oil isn't coming from there, the dist. or the sending unit.

·
Registered
488 Posts
there's a 1/8 plug by the oil sending unit, under the top corner of the cylinder head. Did you seal the threads on that?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Did you use RTV on the rear intake gasket?

I caught hell on a mopar before I figured out, that the RTV was making the gasket slippery, and it would pop out of place soon as I torqued it down.

moral of the story is: a dab of RTV in the corners on those gaskets, but otherwise use them dry.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm starting to think it's my valve cover. When I take it off it looks like the whole width of the gasket is wet in the corner. We'll see what happens, I'll look for that take off underneath the head.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
What brand of valve covers are you using? My buddy bought a cheap set off of ebay. He changed them and drove over to my house and left about a Qt of oil in my driveway. We took the valve cover off and it was not sqaure and was not mating against the block.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts