Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a non-Nova question.

I'd rather not get into the details but I have a problem with my 2005 Impala SS.

I need to change the oil and the drain plug turns but does not loosen. I suspect the nut welded to the inside of the pan is no longer welded.

I guess the right fix is to remove and replace the pan, but that is more trouble than I'd like to get into at this point. Anyone have any success drilling and tapping a new hole?

Too risky with threads in sheet metal?

Anyone use one of the rubber expandable plugs?

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

?/*&%$# fast lube places.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
IMHO,your better off doing it right & replace the oil pan. They're not that hard to replace with the 3.8L engine in the W body cars.

·
Registered
594 Posts
oil pans in those cars dont take much time at all my advce would be to do it right the first time or you will be doing it again and you dont want to be on the side of the road standing in a puddle of oil kicking your self. ive been there done that it sucks but i would do it right!:D

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
When I worked at Speed Lube years ago we could change the oil in cars without pulling the drain plug. We used a vacumm thing that would suck the oil out through the dipstick hole. It used an air hose that blew across the venturi deal and it created the vacumm. They normally only used on transmission pans to lower the amount of mess. We also used the rubber plugs on drain pans. Normally it wa because the owner stripped the pan and brought it to us to have someone to blame. Sometimes I wonder how the made it to us without the plug falling out. Fords were the worst because they use a 1 inch nut and everyone made sure that that sucker wasn't coming out.

http://www.oilchangesystems.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts