Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I read the dumber i feel! But I just cant grasp the concept of degreeing!
If your timing marks (those little "0" marks on the cam and crank gears) line up you have a 50/50 chance of being right. So where does degreeing come in? If the marks line up and you know know your on your going on your compression stroke then you should theoretically have TDC on #1 cylinder shouldnt you? Im just so lost with this!
I guess what Im asking "explain to me like im a child" how degreeing and timing work. The books im reading are throwing me through loops!!! And even though the information is so straight forward im still not grasping it!

And another quick question, If the rocker arms are installed and you tighten the nuts down, then give it that 1/4 more turn, you should be OK right? And after the engine runs you listen for chatter, then back off the nut of the rocker thats chattering and tighten it until it stops, then a 1/4 more? Maybe im lost on that one too!

Sorry for the long post, just LOST!!!
Thanks guys :D

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Are you talking about your six or a V-8? Do you have an aftermarket cam or stock?

btw, the way you don't "tighten" the rocker nuts. That sounds like you are cranking them down to the bottom and then attempting to turn them farther.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about your six or a V-8? Do you have an aftermarket cam or stock?

btw, the way you don't "tighten" the rocker nuts. That sounds like you are cranking them down to the bottom and then attempting to turn them farther.
Its an I6, aftermarket cam.
I wasnt sure about the rocker nuts, just thought i read somewhere to tighten them hand tight, and give it another 1/4 turn...
I just dont understand the degree thing

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Your cam comes with a cam card. Degreeing involves putting a degree wheel on the crank bolt and verifying the cam specs relative to actual crank degrees and adjusting the cam indexing if necessary or to fine tune the performance.

Here's a tutorial:
How to degree a cam.

Some cams have you install them to intake centerline value. Not sure if they even make adjustable sprockets for inline sixes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts