Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well finally getting the front end on, aftermarket chrome trim sucks..if i had to do it again i would have repaired the bezels i had..my headlamp bezels are in paint i got some bumper brackets and lights from another member..man this pays off..

ill have the back glass in next week when i get the package tray and the two trim pieces ( from another member)..lol

WITH OUT THIS SITE MY NOVA WOULD BE GETTING DUSTYER AND DUSTYER..THX TO THAT HAVE PITCHED IN!!!:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jw you have a nice duece yourself..never go wrong with black

·
Registered
89 Posts
That looks insane man.... Love the stance and wheel tire combo as well as the paint. What are the specs of your suspension setup and wheel tire combo?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the suspension: 2" dropped spindles, hotchkis lowered springs in front and rear

rims: american tq's 17x7 front 4" bsp, rear 17x8 with 4.75" bsp

tires: falken's front 215/50, rear 275/40..

i had my car on the rack and noticed i have 1.5"-2" more room between backside of the tire and the frame rail.. maybe a 17x9 with 5" bsp and a 295 tire is in the near future

thanks again

·
Registered
89 Posts
strtlegal said:
the suspension: 2" dropped spindles, hotchkis lowered springs in front and rear

rims: american tq's 17x7 front 4" bsp, rear 17x8 with 4.75" bsp

tires: falken's front 215/50, rear 275/40..

i had my car on the rack and noticed i have 1.5"-2" more room between backside of the tire and the frame rail.. maybe a 17x9 with 5" bsp and a 295 tire is in the near future

thanks again
Thanks for the specs man. I'm currently looking into some 17's for my 71'. Couple questions for ya. Do you have enough clearance lock to lock up front w/ the 215/50's, if not do you think a 3.95 backspace would be helpful if I am already going w/ a custom Backspace. Also have you had a chance to drive it yet with the suspension setup? If so how does it ride? I have heard mixed reviews regarding the Hotchkis springs and ride quality....BTW 295's would be sic on your Nova.
-Thanks ahead of time for any help

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the ride quality is far better than stock springs...a little bit stiffer but handles way better..ive actually had the hotchkis in there for about 2 years. i just added the dropped spindles..but ever time i took it out i felt a big difference

as far as the front, the wheels dont rub turning lock to lock..i did however took out a bolt on the outer lip of the liner, it had about 1/4" from rubbing my tire. i took it out as a caution

somebody recomended a 3.95bsp but they were rubbing on the inside when they turned and they ran a 235/40 which is bigger then my 215/50 so i stuck with the 4" bsp, if i had to do it againg i would have ordered my front's with a tade MORE bsp maybe something like a 4.25 just to bring the tire in the wheel well a little more.

the future will bring tubular A-arms and 1.25" hollow front sway bar..

thanks again

·
Registered
89 Posts
strtlegal said:
the ride quality is far better than stock springs...a little bit stiffer but handles way better..ive actually had the hotchkis in there for about 2 years. i just added the dropped spindles..but ever time i took it out i felt a big difference

as far as the front, the wheels dont rub turning lock to lock..i did however took out a bolt on the outer lip of the liner, it had about 1/4" from rubbing my tire. i took it out as a caution

somebody recomended a 3.95bsp but they were rubbing on the inside when they turned and they ran a 235/40 which is bigger then my 215/50 so i stuck with the 4" bsp, if i had to do it againg i would have ordered my front's with a tade MORE bsp maybe something like a 4.25 just to bring the tire in the wheel well a little more.

the future will bring tubular A-arms and 1.25" hollow front sway bar..

thanks again
Man I appreciate the info. Two more ?'s for ya.....Does the front tire stick out of the wheelwell at all w/ the 4" BS then ? This was also a concern of mine with the 3.95-4" backspace. Also do you know the total drop you got from the spindle/springs and leafs front and rear? It seems like the subframe would be quit close to the ground w/ that much drop. I really am digging the stance and tire package on your car tho, seems to be the perfect package for the 68-72 year Nova's IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no the tire doesnt stick out at all, i think it looks perfect

i may have some better pics for you in my signature if it helps

i think total drop in front would be atleast 3", the rear is 1.5" multieafs..

i dont mind answering these questions at all

·
Registered
89 Posts
strtlegal said:
no the tire doesnt stick out at all, i think it looks perfect

i may have some better pics for you in my signature if it helps

i think total drop in front would be atleast 3", the rear is 1.5" multieafs..

i dont mind answering these questions at all
Why the upgrade to the 4.25" backspace in front then? Just trying to get my backspacing straight before I try and place my order in the next few months. Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was mentioning that just because how low it sits...it site real close where the liner meets the fender ( inside the fender), i did a little messaging but im very happy with the out come..i mentioned the 4.25" if you didnt want to work on your liner..it doesnt hit while sitting or turning but i did it as a pre-caution..just in case i hit a nasty bump..

i forgot to mention, that i am also changing my long tube headers for a mid tube..basically the collector sits at the kick panel which allowed me two bring my pipes up the inside the frame rails..just so i dont have that collector getting hit..

the frame does sit close, no more than any sports car nowadays..ill be careful lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
strtlegal, I have only 6 words for you. That is one sweet looking ride.

·
Registered
142 Posts
strtlegal, What brand of dropped spindles did you use? I have noticed that many require use of later model GM rotors and somtimes calipers. My '69 SS has factory discs and have been trying to find dropped spindles that will work with my factory set up. My car sits unusually high in the front and have been looking at all my options to get it in the weeds(haha!)

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i used superior spindles..great bunch of guys..they make there own spindles
i paid $550.00 with 12" rotors..these actually look like a factory disk brakes.

i bought some mcCaughy's spindles and i was not happy at all, they used 10" rotors and used 78-82 monte carlo calipers..just like you said LATE MODEL STUFF and it was all metric but the superior kit came with bigger calipers and braided line for the calipers

however i dont know if that will work with your factory stuff, since the supeior kit uses a one piece knuckle.the calipers might be a tade longer( where they mount) than the stock ones which i believe use 11" rotors, but i could be wrong

give them a call. i highly recomend them

·
Registered
38 Posts
beautiful car

1 - 19 of 19 Posts