Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all..question for you.

I've got a very healthy 355 sitting in my engine bay of my 72. 4 bolt main, dart iron eagle heads, lunati bracket master II cam, holley 750. My son is taking classes at the votech for high school and is trying to convince me to make it a 383 stroker.

Is it worth it to add 30 extra cubes? It's a street car that will see the track from time to time just to have fun. I'm currently rebuilding a 700r4 tranny to go with it and the 3.73 posi out back.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If the price is right I would go for it! Mine has more low end torque than my 355 had.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
If you have the compression now, I think you could see equal gains from going to a good hydraulic roller cam setup. Mine runs like a sewing machine with a .535/.550 roller cam in it now. It idles at 850-900 and is real responsive. But it is a 10.3-1 SRP piston, with Scat rods and an Eagle crank in the short block. With 195 AFR heads on top.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Sons

They are really good at spending your money....I have 3; and a daughter. My oldest is the mechanical one who has added a good 5K to my 72 and we still have to finish the inside of the trunk and the bass speaker box. I'm laughing....but at the same time you can teach him about budget and restraint.:eek: You could have him research what it would cost, parts and labor. Then comes some money for known unknowns, like gee, the heater core is really that bad? And we might as well replace those belts and hoses; and you probably have a 153 tooth ring gear, you're gonna need a starter for a 168 tooth. Then come the unknown-unknowns that are usually good for another 15% of the total.

The question for you is what is your intent for the car? What do you want to do with YOUR car. If you are happy with your current motor and it doesn't need a rebuild, do a separate project engine with him. If it's time to rebuild, go for the 383. It really is a different animal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love to play with my car as it is. Rigth now, the AAW wiring kit is sitting ready to go in, just have to finish pulling the old out.

As for intentions, I want a weekend cruiser, capable of holding it's own on the strip from time to time. The PO can't find the cam spec sheet, so it's either a 290 or 292 version. Either way, the cam is good from 2500 and up, but the intake is 3500 and up so that will get replaced to more closely match the cam. The tranny and torque convertor will then go in to match up as well.

I do like the idea of another motor to build but don't have the space or budget. I'm letting my son do most of the work on my car so he gets the experience of it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love to play with my car as it is. Rigth now, the AAW wiring kit is sitting ready to go in, just have to finish pulling the old out.

As for intentions, I want a weekend cruiser, capable of holding it's own on the strip from time to time. The PO can't find the cam spec sheet, so it's either a 290 or 292 version. Either way, the cam is good from 2500 and up, but the intake is 3500 and up so that will get replaced to more closely match the cam. The tranny and torque convertor will then go in to match up as well.

I do like the idea of another motor to build but don't have the space or budget. I'm letting my son do most of the work on my car so he gets the experience of it.

Thanks!
Make sure you are decided on cam and manifold you are going to use before you buy a convertor. Since both the cam and the manifold affect the torque curve you want to know where your power band it to get the most out of the convertor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts