Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on stripping all paint off, down to metal on my front fenders and hood. I have an electric milwaukee 4" grinder. I plan on using a wire wheel to accomplish this. How well do wire wheels work?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ooooh. I wouldnt. Gonna leave some deep scratches in the metal. Milwaukee sells (or used to) an orbital sanding attachment for the angle grinder. Works great, I used it to remove paint before. Buy a stack of 80 grit 3m paper and go to town. Keep her moving and dont push, let the sander weight and fresh paper do the cutting. JR

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look in to that sander attachment. On a side note I killed some time with a wire wheel on an old hood I had. It actually turned out very good. Surface was very smooth, would have to go over with sandpaper to roughen up before primer.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Actually, I stripped an entire truck with wire wheel on a grinder.

Word to the wise: use the 'knotted' wire wheel. They are about twice the cost, but you'll get about three times the run time.

they actually don't leave deep scratches, but I understand why one would think it would. it actually leaves the metal polished. It is probably possible to gouge the steel, but a gentle touch will prevent it. I'm not sure if it is faster than sanding it off with, say, 80 grit, but it will take off bondo too. Again, using a light touch, it doesn't heat the metal badly either.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Never thought wire wheels were good for that? I've read of people going back over the bare metal with a wire wheel to get in pits and such.
I used a orbital sander with 80 grit paper (takes forever) and a stripping disk on an angle grinder (which went much faster, but left deep scratches which i had to run the 80 grit sander back over anyways)... I've also tried aircraft stripper (waist of money, it takes a layer at a time, but its just a nasty product, smells bad and it still ate into my latex gloves).
Just take your time, and make sure you have the patience!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I used spray stripper....got rubber gloves....plastic putty knive's...and an old bucket....Did it in about two hours....cleaned up real nice...I also used my syphon blaster with 30 mesh....For the surface rust...

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I also used paint stripper in a spray bottle. I would recommend this technique. Use paint stripper from Lowes. It came with it's own spray bottle and was $20 per gallon. I used two gallons for the entire car. I used a scraper with a razor blade to clean it off. It worked very well. I had several very thick coats of paint and it took it right off with hardly and fumes. I the sanded after to clean up the metal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts