Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 350 has a painted{orange}winters intake and i want to restore it to alumium. I have access to a glass beading machine at work.My question is,would glass beading leave a rough finish on it? Or would a paint stipper work best.I dont know why the previous owner would paint this intake.It is from a 63 corvette 340 hp motor w/the original AFB carb. Any ideas?

·
Registered
577 Posts
The previous owner most likely painted the intake because it was badly oxidized and looked like poop. Glass beading will take off the paint, but it shouldn't rough up the surface too badly. Aluminum intakes aren't smooth to begin with.
You could also try paint stripper and follow it up with etching mag cleaner or something similar which would not rough up the finish if that is a major concern. If the aluminum is oxidized and/or stained under the paint it will still show after you remove the paint. I personally would bead blast it and move on.

Dan

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Intake

I glass beaded mine and came out like brand new!! Make sure you blow it out good and give a Good Wash before you put it back on.

Steves 70SS

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Oven cleaner works well at removing paint. Spray it on heavy and let it sit. Just make sure the oven cleaner does not dry out. After a while the paint will start to run off, You can then wash the intake off with a hose and brush. make sure you do not splash any on your skin or eyes!!!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
My 350 has a painted{orange}winters intake and i want to restore it to alumium. I have access to a glass beading machine at work.My question is,would glass beading leave a rough finish on it? Or would a paint stipper work best.I dont know why the previous owner would paint this intake.It is from a 63 corvette 340 hp motor w/the original AFB carb. Any ideas?
Like all the rest said. Glass bead finish of the intake will look great. Ummm, but glass bead isnt the best for removing the old paint. And if it was my cabinet I wouldnt want all the extra paint chips in there. The glass bead will be slow, and a dedicated glass bead cabinet is usually used for prepping raw metal cause it breaks down pretty quick when trying to use it for paint or rust removable.. Glass bead is not as tough as the other abrasives. Boil the intake in a decent concentration of TSP and the paint will roll off. Then blast her in the cabinet. I have then clear coated the intakes in clear coating and it stays a nice. No heat issues so far.. JR

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well,I bead blasted it and it looks great! I might clear coat it yet..thanks for al the great advise!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
For a factory correct appearance it should be tumbled, but I agree the beadblasted look is very nice. What clear are you going to use? I haven't had much luck with and aresol or 2K urethane clears on bare aluminum but clear powdercoating works good.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Baddbob,what do you mean not having any luck? Did it peel off from heat? I used a can that I had I think it was a SEM product.

·
Registered
277 Posts
bead blast it again to make sure it's clean, then with gloves on put it in a large bag & haul to your local powdercoater (still without touching it) and have it clear powdercoated. Any oils/fingerprints or crap off your hands can get in the pores of the aluminum and turn colors later...
Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts