Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be stripping my car myself and I was wondering if anyone(sure someone here has)has done this themselves and if so what stripper did you use and how hard is it. It doesn't seem hard, kind of like stripping paint from wood, but I could be wrong. Any tips, facts, whatnots would be great

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've used JASCO Premium (Home Depot) and others recommend Aircraft Stripper (your local auto paint place or possibly local auto parts store)

Tips:
Buy some throwaway brushes to brush it on.
Use a variety of scrapers to get it off.
Put newspaper down for the scrapings to land on.
Use eye, hand and skin protection when applying.
Use adequate ventilation.
Don't get this stuff on your skin.

Once all the paint is off, use a DA to rough up the surface then prime it.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
If you plan on stripping the whole car down to bare metal I can tell you this one tip for sure. Dont waste your time and effort. Take the car down and have it Media blasted. When everything is said and done it will be money well spent. This is my opinion and I sure many other will tell you the same thing who has gone through the process.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have stripped 3 cars using striper. The newest car I have was not striped. It is tough to do, very messy, and when you get it striped it is very difficult to get it block sanded straight again. My first Nova which was a 70 looked good but it wasn't straight as I wanted it and I blocked, primed, and color sanded it forever. If I wanted another car striped I would have it media blasted but don't allow anyone to use sand on it. Media is the best method. If I had to use striper again I would try to leave the factory primer on it wherever I could. I'm no expert on paint and body but I always do my own work because I enjoy it and take pride in doing everything myself, but it is no easy task striping a car.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
chemical stripper

After a couple of years trying various media blasters, we have gone back to chemical and mechanical stripping. We can do a better, faster job than farming it out. Go to a paint store and buy a GOOD stripper.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. :rolleyes:

Normal car takes about 20 hours for everything. We use a wire wheel on the jambs. Notice in the pictures we protect the jambs and seams from the chemical.

Never use a chemical stripper unless you are commited to going to bare metal and neutralizing the surface. Follow up with a d/a, and primer. Pretty basic really.

As you can see, we do this a lot. :D

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Rich, Are you the same Rich I use to chat with on Rabbits site? That looks like a car that Rich was building for a man and he put a new Hemi in it. RM

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Yep Real, it's me. That hemi is long gone, but the '65 Coronet in the 4th picture is the "new" hemi,,,,528,,,it's a monster!!!

Rich

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Nice to know you are well, and still doing some fine work. RM

·
Registered
388 Posts
Real McCoy said:
.... It is tough to do, very messy, and when you get it striped it is very difficult to get it block sanded straight again.
Stripped the sons' 66 Nova to bare and doing the same with the 66 Chevelle SS - yeah, messy, and LOTS Of work. Could have brought it to the local soda blaster, but I really didn't have the money for that eventhough it would have been much faster. I agree with the "no easy task" but not sure why stripping it to bare metal would make it any harder or easier to get the panels straight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts