Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend got into an accident with his full load '62 Nova 4 door survivor, a mini van ran a red and hit him in the rear door and bent the frame.
It looks like I will be able to buy it back from the insurance company and part it out. Due to town bylaws I have limited time and have to grab everything at once.

QUESTIONS:
1) power brakes - the '62 has power brakes, what do I grab besides the power booster to make it work in my '64? Is the activating rod different? pedal assembly?

2) power steering - what all do I need besides the pump and it's brackets?
I may not use this in mine but I want all of it.

thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once I have it in my driveway and all my local Nova brothers are taken care of I'll post what is left (like the perfect 4 door side chrome) in Steve's classifieds.
I'll put you, Joe, down for the grill but it might be cheaper for you to buy me 2 tickets to Florida and I'll bring it in my carry-on:D

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I did a quick search and found this:

No,not with the stock set-up.

You will need the following:

P/s pump with pulley
p/s belt
p/s crank pulley
pump brackets for a large balancer will fit all engines
pump to control valve hoses
frame bracket for pump lines
control valve to ram hoses
control valve
ram
p/s idler arm bracket
p/s idler arm
p/s center link
p/s pitman arm
p/s fluid (ATF)

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120670&highlight=power+steering

Just a heads up that '62 is a one year specific for idler, inner and outher tie rods, etc... on manual steering cars but I'm not sure with power steering cars.
You might not be able to mix and match the '62 PS setup with your '64 manual setup.

Also note that '62 steering components are more $ to replace with new parts.

I'm sure someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a heads up that '62 is a one year specific for idler, inner and outher tie rods, etc... on manual steering cars but I'm not sure with power steering cars.
You might not be able to mix and match the '62 PS setup with your '64 manual setup.

Also note that '62 steering components are more $ to replace with new parts.
Thanks, I thought so - I have a local buddy that has a '62 that wants to convert his to power steering.

Any one know about the power brakes?

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
With the power brake booster you should grad the underdash reinforment bar and the brake switch extender metal bracket as well as the vacuum fitings off the intake manifold//

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is a "full load 62 Nova"? Never heard of one.
It's got power steering, power brakes, factory air (the cream coloured box), full chrome including rocker moldings, signal light extensions, and even those rare chrome pieces on the fender gills.
Not something you see on your average '62 four door.
We like to think that in '62 some rich guy bought it for his June Cleaver - white glove wearing wife.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
If you grab the Air condition set up make sure you get everything(heater,grommets,valance panel,dryer bottle ,condensor,and grommets, all hoses , pulleys,compressor bracket, Dip stick, ) best to see the installation manual has parts listed you will need as you remove them . JM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts