Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

74 coupe with 350. Love the ride, hate the puddles.

Have tightened the oil pan nuts, used new nuts, "lock tight" nuts, tighten nuts again, used locknuts, still end up with loose nuts.
Still the front 6 nuts start leaking after a week or so.
What is the best way to remove the pan studs? Never done it before.
Just grab them with a vise-grip and twist?
Obviously motor is in car so some of the leakers will be a pita to get to. Should I replace the studs or go with bolts? That sounds easier!

Thanx,

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you want to use the studs again, "double nut" em by threading on one nut then another right next to it. The using two wrenches, tighten the nuts to each other. Then you should be able to back the studs out. I would use some brake cleaner on the studs, nuts and most importantly the holes. Caeful, and use safety glasses as the brake clean will come back out in a hurry squirting it into a blind hole.

Once you have it all clean, and dry, you can use some blue or red loctite on the studs. I would just put them in hand tight. Then get your gasket and pan ready if you removed them. Then a spot of loctite on the studs and install and torque the nuts down.

Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Double nut the studs and jam them like was mentioned before, then a socket on the outer nut will back them right out.

Make SURE all of the sealing surfaces are CLEAN. If oil is present when the new gasket goes on it will leak. Not much, but there's a dang good chance it will!!
Don't forget to use a little silicone it the corners where there's parting lines.

Loctite the stud's threads that go into the block when you go back together.

Stupid question...... Have you considered using lock-washers with the nuts? I like the "star" type myself.
Coupled with nylock nuts, they'd never vibrate lose. :no:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
As mentioned, the double-nut (jam nut) technique will work to get the studs out. It would also work to keep the nuts tights after re-installation. Regarding the problem of repeated leaks and loosening nuts from the same area of the pan, have you checked to make sure that the pan wasn't over-tightened at some point? If the pan is deformed it will cause sealing problems that can only be resolved by either taking it off and fixing it or replacing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.