Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok lets hear em. Which is better the 350 or 400. This will be mainly for the street but will ocasionally see a strip. Im not sure i have 350 block but can get my hands on a 400 .040 over decked and line bored. Which is better all open here. Possible for a blower setup later or Nitrous

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Many people would shy away from a 400 that is more than .030" over, I've run a few at .040" over with no problems, but some of them get a little thin at that size. But I also have had a 350 bored only .030" over and found a thin spot in the casting where water came in. If you know someone with a sonic checker, it might not be a bad idea to check before building.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Find a post by Paul Wright and read his signature. Everything else being equal the 400 will make more power 100% of the time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
400s are a little bit more involved than 350s, you have to drill steam holes in the heads (or are supposed to) and most people will tell you to upgrade to 5.7 rods because the stock ones will side load the pistons and cause them to make the bores oval shaped, which will decrease engine life. Also 400s can have deck erosion problems due to their steam holes, which can cause serious headaches. (Ask me how I know:rolleyes:) AND they frequently are fairly thin so overboring more than .030 can be risky business. If you have a good core, though, and you change to 5.7 rods, you'll make more power than a 350 and be very happy, or so I am told.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
either one will work fine but I think once you feel the torque of that 400 you'll never turn back. That's what happened to me and I haven't built anything since.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
400s are a little bit more involved than 350s, you have to drill steam holes in the heads (or are supposed to) and most people will tell you to upgrade to 5.7 rods because the stock ones will side load the pistons and cause them to make the bores oval shaped, which will decrease engine life. Also 400s can have deck erosion problems due to their steam holes, which can cause serious headaches. (Ask me how I know:rolleyes:) AND they frequently are fairly thin so overboring more than .030 can be risky business. If you have a good core, though, and you change to 5.7 rods, you'll make more power than a 350 and be very happy, or so I am told.
Upgrade to a 6" rod for better results then the 5.7".:yes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pickin up

picking up a 400 .040 over decked and align bored w a turned and polished crank. Any ideas for a decent build? first 400

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Ever heard the term "Cubic Inch For The Street"...

well then... and BY the way.. do a search.. this subject has been beat to death....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts