Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent 30 minutes yesterday cleaning the front windshield. Thought I had it perfectly clean and streak free. Went to a local gathering and as soon as I was headed into the sun I couldn't believe how poor of a job I had actually done.
What tips do you have?

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
559 Posts
Clean it as good as you can with 50% isopropyl alcohol and cloth or paper towel. After that, go back over the glass (to polish it) with a new (or clean and dry) microfiber cloth or t-shirt, turning it often. The dry microfiber cloth works well for buffing off smudges and streaks.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Mine always looks streaked. I don't have a cure but I have read that that you first have to remove all of the accumulated crud by cleaning the outside using 0000 steel wool.
My wife swears by Invisible Glass. Maybe the two are the ticket.....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine always looks streaked. I don't have a cure but I have read that that you first have to remove all of the accumulated crud by cleaning the outside using 0000 steel wool.
My wife swears by Invisible Glass. Maybe the two are the ticket.....
I read that about the steel wool and Bon Ami cleanser somewhere. I did that on the outside and it made a huge difference. Especially here where it rains a lot and we get a lot of road grime splashed up on the windshield. Streaks are on the inside. Bought some denatured alcohol today. I'll try it and wait for the sun to come back out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use to have the same problem and got tired of it. Here is what I came up with in my research that works for me. First wipe the window down with a good clean dry micro fiber towel. Next step take a magic eraser dip in water and ring out as much water as you can and then wipe down half of the windshield thoroughly. Do not let dry wipe immediately with a new clean MF towel. Repeat steps for remainder of glass. Once clean and dry with magic eraser you can go ahead and use the traditional glass cleaner using two MF towels one for initial cleaning and then one to buff (kind of like when you use two for waxing your car.

The issue that creates the problem particularly on interior glass is that the interior plastics and upholstry put off oils in the heat. That why you often times see on newer vehicles a hazy film on the inside.

#1 Tip- Do not clean your interior with any kind of oil based products (armor all)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Try using a clay bar first, then your window cleaner of your choice. The clay bar takes the gunk off the glass which gives you a clean surface to start with!

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
vinegar and water mixture.its all I use:yes:
I have yet to find a store bought glass cleaner that didn't leave streaks.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vinegar and water mixture.its all I use:yes:
I have yet to find a store bought glass cleaner that didn't leave streaks.
I had the best luck with the newspaper. Used it to buff out the window after the windex. Not sure the windex is the answer though. Are you mixing the vinegar and water 50/50?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
i wouldn't use news paper as it is mostly recycled paper stuff an could have sand or grit in it.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I had the best luck with the newspaper. Used it to buff out the window after the windex. Not sure the windex is the answer though. Are you mixing the vinegar and water 50/50?
I dunno 2 or 4 glugs out of vinegar jug in about 3 quarts of water.(ice cream) pail.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dunno 2 or 4 glugs out of vinegar jug in about 3 quarts of water.(ice cream) pail.
Made me chuckle. Sounds like an exact scientific formula with the glugs and all.

·
Registered
928 Posts
i wouldn't use news paper as it is mostly recycled paper stuff an could have sand or grit in it.
Thats probably why it works so good, I've been using it for 40 years. I prefer Sprayway glass cleaner, works better and is cheaper, Home Depot has it here. Most shops also use it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
product by "Stoner". it's an aerosol can and the spray pattern is good for not getting on things other than the glass. at Wally World and some Targets. aslo Sears Auto if you can find one. streak free, unless you're streaking.......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts