Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you can't lock up the tires with the current manual brakes, adding a power booster won't help that one bit.
All a power booster does is reduce the amount of leg effort needed to push the pedal down, it does not magically decrease stopping distance. It was developed as a convenience feature, to attract female buyers and the older generations....grandmas and soccer moms.

if you've got the larger 1-1/8" or 1-1/6"" bore master meant for use with a brake booster, pedal will be harder and actual pressure at the calipers and wheel cylinders will be lower than if it had the correct 15/16" or even 7/8" bore master cylinder.
Knob on adjustable prop valve is just like a bolt.....clockwise is tighter, reduces pressure to the rear...counterclockwise is looser, opens the line to the rear more.
How can I find out what bore my MC is???? Thanks, George in NC

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pull it off the firewall and measure the lip of the bore at the back of the master with calipers or a good machinist ruler. You can leave all the lines hooked up when you do this, they have enough flex in them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used a CPP when I put Mustang II with disc on front and drum 9" ford on rear. Replumbed all of it. The CPP has a built in proportioning valve and was easy to adjust. No power brakes, stops solid

·
Registered
10 Posts
A quick measurement on my 63 Nova only has a 5.7 to 5.75 pedal ratio. My Wilwood 12" four wheel brakes are firm and do not lock up with a 1 1/32" Master Cylinder. Have been thinking of going to 15/16" after reading this article. It goes along with a lot of the above posts.

Common Brake mistakes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Math is Hard I went out and remeasured my peddle it is more like 6.5 to 1
To which my brakes should work better than they do.
A quick measurement on my 63 Nova only has a 5.7 to 5.75 pedal ratio. My Wilwood 12" four wheel brakes are firm and do not lock up with a 1 1/32" Master Cylinder. Have been thinking of going to 15/16" after reading this article. It goes along with a lot of the above posts.

Common Brake mistakes

21 - 25 of 25 Posts