Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1963 convertible
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! My 63, which is all original, has two oil leaks and two transmission leaks. I've been told to put some kind of leak sealer in it to save money but this so called fix seams like it's to good to be true and could do damage aswell. Anyone have experience with these things? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I've got a '99 Suburban that's burning a good bit of oil through a main seal leak. My reputable mechanic thought I should try a Lucas brand of leak stop to see if it would help. I can't tell that it's made any difference. My recommendation would be to find the source of the leak and get it fixed. That's probably a lot of bucks - and why I continue to feed my truck oil between changes - but I doubt you're going to find happiness throwing leak-stop additives at it.

On the other hand, I don't think you're going to damage anything by trying a leak-stop product. Just my opinion, mind you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey guys! My 63, which is all original, has two oil leaks and two transmission leaks. I've been told to put some kind of leak sealer in it to save money but this so called fix seams like it's to good to be true and could do damage aswell. Anyone have experience with these things? Thanks in advance!
Stop Leak fluids are rarely, if ever, a good idea. Where are your leaks coming from? Sometimes simple gasket changes can make all the difference. The selector seal shaft and speedometer cable port were both puking ATF every time I drove my car. $15 in seals and an hour of my time later, no leaks, and I know the transmission is full of good fluid and no "mystery oil".

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
stop leak, my call its a temporary band-aid. an will fail when you dont need a break down, like miles from home. tranny seals are usually a easy fix with out a tranny removal. now a motor the last thing you want is the seal going totally while your on the highway an lose a couple quarts or more of oil.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
instead of asking if it works first ask yourself this.
would you want something that stops leaks stoping the oil/coolant flow in passageways in your engine/rad heater etc?
I wouldn't and WONT ever use the crap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am ok with a few of the cooling system stop leaks , but not for oil. I had an old Suburban that had a leak from the plugs inside the bell housing( i think lol) it ran so good with high mileage I just couldnt see risking an additive. Ended up making a diaper and attaching it. Sold it with 240k and running like new

1 - 8 of 8 Posts