Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to reinstall the rear end unit in my 66 nova.The rebuilt 10bolt posi is almost done.So the next step, do I go with the stock mono setup or is there a complete multi leaf conversion package out there that bolts on for under 500.00 I have read that some modifications are needed if one wants to go with multi leaf.Is there any real benefit to a multi leaf?I would have reinstalled the original mono leaf back in the car but 1 of the eye ends broke on the original pair.I have searched the net and have a good idea on price but,just don't know what the best way to go is. The car has a small 283 built to about 300 hp, nothing crazY.3 speed trans and now a 373 posi. keeping it simple but yet complex! the rear unit is a GM 10 bolt 8.2. what is the best way mono or multi? any info waould be of help.
Thanks
G

·
Registered
438 Posts
My car has had multi-leaf springs since I've had it but I did break one once and then replaced them both. Best price I found was from JC Whitney and they've been on the car now for many years.

I know that didn't answer your question but I'd thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
IMO multi are the best way to go. Check out Eaton Spring. The sell three leaf springs for your car

·
Registered
48 Posts
Greg,

I have a set of multi leafs and traction bars with 800 miles on them.
Let me know if you are interested in them.

Jim

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Greg, I just replaced my mono's and air shocks with the JCW 3-leafs and Monroe Sensatrac shocks on my '64. It's like a new car! I paid $165 for the springs shipped to my door.

Do a search on this. There is a member on here, brianlewis. He has a good thread on what it takes. If you do it like he did, you won't go wrong.

The mono's work, but I was getting nervous hearing about guys breaking their 40 plus year old spring.

I'm very happy with the new setup.

Tim

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg, I just replaced my mono's and air shocks with the JCW 3-leafs and Monroe Sensatrac shocks on my '64. It's like a new car! I paid $165 for the springs shipped to my door.

Do a search on this. There is a member on here, brianlewis. He has a good thread on what it takes. If you do it like he did, you won't go wrong.

The mono's work, but I was getting nervous hearing about guys breaking their 40 plus year old spring.

I'm very happy with the new setup.

Tim
tim,
thanks for the reply.the springs you got from jcw, did they bolt right in or were there mods to the install ie:perches,axle housing perch depth, spring eye measurment issues,t-bolts vs u bolts I need to get this right the first time for once. any help will be appreciated
thanks
greg

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tim,
thanks for the reply.the springs you got from jcw, did they bolt right in or were there mods to the install,axle housing perch depth, spring eye measurment issues,t-bolts vs u bolts I need to get this right the first time for once. any help will be appreciated
thanks
greg

·
Registered
583 Posts
Definetly run the multi leafs and make sure they are 3 leafs ive heard of some problems with running 5 leafs so just go with 3 like im going to.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
tim,
thanks for the reply.the springs you got from jcw, did they bolt right in or were there mods to the install,axle housing perch depth, spring eye measurment issues,t-bolts vs u bolts I need to get this right the first time for once. any help will be appreciated
thanks
greg
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60559&highlight=springs

Greg, I pretty much followed everything on that thread. I had u-bolts already and re used those. Keep in mind if you use u-bolts that are 1/2 inch you will have to drill the perches and spring plates. They are 7/16 stock. Very minor fix.

The springs were an absolute bolt in. Very happy with them.

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
ive heard of some problems with running 5 leafs
How would the leaf count cause a problem? What if there were 4, would that be better than 5? Would 6 be worse? I used 5 on my 69, but had them add another full leaf and a short leaf as well. They worked just fine for about 10 years. Now I run Split-Mono's, and I would never go back to multileaf. Also got rid of over 60lbs. switching from a multileaf/slapper bar combo to the Split-Mono/Cal-Trac combo. With no pre-load on the Cal-Tracs, it rides really nice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts