Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 72 with mini tub and leaf springs removed and coil overs put in. Right now I have a fuel cell but as I will not be racing the car and am going mostly for daily driving, I would like to gain more fuel capacity ( only 12 gallon now) and trunk space. Is it possible without having to modify it to put a stock tank in since my leaf springs are gone? Any drawbacks to this?

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
As long as the stock frame rail width isn't altered, I don't see why it wouldn't go back in. Did you cut the trunk braces out of the car for the tank?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as the stock frame rail width isn't altered, I don't see why it wouldn't go back in. Did you cut the trunk braces out of the car for the tank?
Stock frame rail is unaltered but I believe the braces are removed. I bought the car with it already removed so I don't have the stocker to try out or even know the measurements to try. I can grab some pics here soon, if that would help, as honestly I am not sure what all would have been there stock. Car was hacked up in places to just be a track car and I am working to get it back on the street.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The exhaust might be tight with the stock fuel tank. Are you running a carb, or EFI? Tanks Inc sells stock looking tanks that are deeper than stock (they hold 20 gallons), and the review in the newest SuperChevy pegs them to be good.
I am running Carb. Someday efi lol. 20 gallon would be awesome, I will have to check them out, thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhhh looks like you are right. The exhaust is very much in the way

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha if it wasn't for my kiddos being in the back seat, I would consider that. If I had room to scavenger the pipes I would but think I am stuck

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just pop it out the sides in front of the tires! The kiddos will love it!
hahaha they very much would. My truck/family car has a 496 with 3" strait pipes. Nothing puts them to sleep faster than the rumble of the big block :D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Cut the tailpipes off, put the tank back in, and take it to have new ones made or added to what you have left. You can easily have it routed outboard of the rear frame. I know its sacrilege on a Nova to have bumper tailpipes but I had mine done with Camaro prebent tailpipes. They will just have to be bent around the coil overs it looks like.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really hate to pull the 3" new exhaust off to drop to a smaller diameter to make between the tire and shock. Maybe could save part by having turn out before tire, but would still be a full redo as the mufflers sit by the axle now. But if it comes down to having to get a new exhaust to fit a stock tank, it hurts the budget but would be worth it

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cut the tailpipes off, put the tank back in, and take it to have new ones made or added to what you have left. You can easily have it routed outboard of the rear frame. I know its sacrilege on a Nova to have bumper tailpipes but I had mine done with Camaro prebent tailpipes. They will just have to be bent around the coil overs it looks like.
Yeah just may cut them off, order a tank and once the cars done deal with the exhaust then. What's the deal with bumper tailpipes being sacrilege? Where the hell are we supposed to put them lol

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah just may cut them off, order a tank and once the cars done deal with the exhaust then. What's the deal with bumper tailpipes being sacrilege? Where the hell are we supposed to put them lol
I think the factory location for 68-72 Nova is behind the rear tires. I put mine out to the bumper because I wanted the car quieter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Beautiful ride! I am totally down with bumper exhaust, it's what I have already and was happy so would like to keep it and just get some nice tips. What part of PA you from?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,531 Posts
I have my tail pipes exiting below the rear quarter panels - just behind the rear wheels.

Below are a couple more photos showing how the exhaust was routed around the gas tank.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have my tail pipes exiting below the rear quarter panels - just behind the rear wheels.

Below are a couple more photos showing how the exhaust was routed around the gas tank.

Looking beautiful Rif!
My issue comes in with the minitub so I can't go over very far. I MAY be able to between the shock and tire? But will be close.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts