Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi just wondering if anyone has heard of a kit that will retain the steering shaft in the oe column when installing a new front m2 clip.i cannot afford a column and feel like if i weld up the u joints the shaft will drop a bit causing steering wheel to rub column.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The Heidt's and ChassisWorks kits appear to be the nearly the same, with the CW kit also including the U-joints and shorter shaft to the rack.

If I were to do it again, I'd simply mill/grind some flats on the end of the stock shaft, turn a bushing (the black part) out of Delrin for the support at the end of the column, and fabricate a bracket to secure the column to the firewall. You can save a ton of money if you have the ability to make/modify your own parts or have the connections to do so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the heidt's and chassisworks kits appear to be the nearly the same, with the cw kit also including the u-joints and shorter shaft to the rack.

If i were to do it again, i'd simply mill/grind some flats on the end of the stock shaft, turn a bushing (the black part) out of delrin for the support at the end of the column, and fabricate a bracket to secure the column to the firewall. You can save a ton of money if you have the ability to make/modify your own parts or have the connections to do so.
thanks. I have made some custom mods with a bushing and sleeve but have not fabbed anything to hold it in to the lower portion.i was thinking somebody just sold a lower brg-bushing designed for the modification.i dont want to buy more u joints and shaft as they are sooo expensive.i will try to fab a stopper this weekend i guess.poss weld on a washer to end of column to retain bushing in housing.,also i will call heidts to see if they will sel
l me anything seperately.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
When I did my Heidt's conversion years ago I purchased a lower bushing from Chassisworks. It was plastic (prolly Delrin) and pop riveted to the bottom of the column. I also used an inexpensive lower mount from Ididit, which can be seen below. I stole this photo from SNS member jmdc, thx -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts