Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may be a stupid question. but would a slick used for nascar work for drag? i no they are not a wrinkle wall or anything like that. any info would really be good. thanks a lot

Chad

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
No they would not be a good tire for drag racing. They are too hard and heavy plus are constructed all wrong too. Then they have size issues also. RM

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
better than a street tire. i used roundy round tires for a while and got to a high 1.9 60ft. i had to freakin melt them to get that though. true drag slicks are worth the money if you plan on regularly hitting the track. if you have a car you just want to run once or twice a year, the nascar tires will hook you up fine.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
theres a tire shop down the street where i can get practically new stock car tires for 40 bucks for both. he has a million of them to choose from so i was just going to go for the softest compound ones he has in my size. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
475 Posts
sproosemoose said:
better than a street tire. i used roundy round tires for a while and got to a high 1.9 60ft. i had to freakin melt them to get that though.
:eek: I can get 1.8-1.9 60's on a BFG street radial...with a 4 speed

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Chad, if you look around at Irwindale you might find some feebies--the roundy guys toss alot of those in the trash.
So you don't like the ones I gave you? Gosh, I'm so offended! hehehe!
I'll let you try the drag radials if you want the next time you come up--just let me know.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol i was ready to slap those on and try them actually and my dad got freaked out when he saw the chords sticking through and thought i was gonna die HAHA! dont you think the roundie tires would hook better than what i have or no?

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
my best was a high 1.9...not that was as high as the times went. my bad!

you could try the circle track tires and see how you like them. looking back on how much i race now i would have just spent the money on drag slicks. they feel a lot more solid out of the hole and my 60fts are 1-2 tenths quicker.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
dont you think the roundie tires would hook better than what i have or no?
I really couldn't say, we picked up several sets of freebies one time but never got around to trying them. I still think you need to give yours one more shot with a big burnout, and if they don't work.......

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the tires i have on it are just about slicks now lol. from after the last time i took it out. so i cant really test them out again as you know im gonna go with a 29 inch tall tire for the street with the 4.11's. i have the rims to mount another set of tires for the track but i just want the cheapest tires that are gonna hook. im all about budget racing!

·
Registered
475 Posts
The BFG radial TA's I run seem to work best with a really mild burn out. I dont back it into the water box. Light burnout just in front of the water box, 60' at 1.87-1.92 with them.....on 14X10 wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts