Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
threrad got closed send some engines for sale or what ever advice you got im close to my decision but know there is more out there so give me what you got thanks

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
A 500 horse engine for $5000 can be done , but be careful what you wish for, you get what you pay for and some of the quality in that engine may be overlooked in order to match that price:yes: If I were you I would save another $1500 to $2000 and invest in an engine with better quality parts and even a Dart SHP block or Merlin Block they are out there for $7000 and come ready to go from intake to oil pan.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Bring your car to our shop in Pomona and I'll install a brand new 500+ h.p. 383, do the break-in, get the tuneup dialed in, and go with you to the track one time, for $5000.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Why are you so dead set on a HP goal? Are you putting this engine in a car, or do you want to just run it on a dyno? If 500hp is what you want, take a stock 350 and stick a nitrous plate on it...Play with the dyno calibration/correction and it will make 500hp...

HP doesn't provide a quick ET slip. Is this a street car, race car, or both? How about post up what you got and then put up an ET goal...You'll get much better responses that way..

JMO..

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Bring your car to our shop in Pomona and I'll install a brand new 500+ h.p. 383, do the break-in, get the tuneup dialed in, and go with you to the track one time, for $5000.
Do you make road trips to Minnesota? I'll pay for the Super 8 :D
Tg

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
here is my advice:

do what is easy, and has been done many times before. thats the cheapest way.

and the answer to that = SBC

there are at least 12 million 500hp 383s running around out there and the formula is pretty much the same (some of the hardcore guys can do it with GM heads)

take a 383, build it with good compression, put a nice cam in it, aftermarket aluminum heads, and thats 500hp. its just as easy with a 454 but that wouldnt be easy to put in your 63= more money

seriously,
http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/product.asp?ProdID=25233&CtgID=22977

afr heads, and the right cam and you are there.

with an sbc you can buy a lot of stuff used and dirt cheap. intake manifold, brackets, valve covers, pulleys, etc

its a no-brainer. the easiest and cheapest way to 500 hp is an sbc (preferrably a 383)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why are you so dead set on a HP goal? Are you putting this engine in a car, or do you want to just run it on a dyno? If 500hp is what you want, take a stock 350 and stick a nitrous plate on it...Play with the dyno calibration/correction and it will make 500hp...

HP doesn't provide a quick ET slip. Is this a street car, race car, or both? How about post up what you got and then put up an ET goal...You'll get much better responses that way..

JMO..
i want to run mid 10s to mid 11s

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what do u mean one time with you to the track??an di will def bring it by ur shop give me the address and stuff and u got some business i need some rearend stuff done too do you do that?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From his other post, I'm guessing he has a completely stock car.
its stock for now but i plan on racing more than street driving but i want to keep the leafs and put caltracs on it and eiher a 12 bolt or 9 inch, i cant afford to get it tubbed and backhalfed

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts

if you cant do any of this yet yourself then i would say this is a great opportunity for a motor and learning experience!! take him up on this offer!!

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
bowtie0069,, if this works out and he brings his car to you this would be a great thread write up with pics and video.. there are sooo many that feel its unthinkable to have a quality,fast,economical engine!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bowtie0069,, if this works out and he brings his car to you this would be a great thread write up with pics and video.. there are sooo many that feel its unthinkable to have a quality,fast,economical engine!!
i will totally of pics and take vids of the dyno and wen i run the car at the track and on the street

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
what is ur shop called??
From the street it's not called anything--In magazines it's The Funny Car Farm; Dale (who does the welding and fabrication) now calls his Snoke's Metal Shed. Is that confusing enough?
If you go to this page of my photo site you can see some of the projects:
http://bowtie0069.fotki.com/shop-projects-1/

The new Car Craft has a story done in the Pomona shop, even though it mentions the old Monrovia location, just to add to the confusion!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From the street it's not called anything--In magazines it's The Funny Car Farm; Dale (who does the welding and fabrication) now calls his Snoke's Metal Shed. Is that confusing enough?
If you go to this page of my photo site you can see some of the projects:
http://bowtie0069.fotki.com/shop-projects-1/

The new Car Craft has a story done in the Pomona shop, even though it mentions the old Monrovia location, just to add to the confusion!
o gotcha lol well i have totally heard of funny car farm i have heard alt of good things about ur shop, im confident with giving my car to you to do work i just cant wait to get started

1 - 20 of 127 Posts