Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm re assembling my '72 and my (stock) fuel gauge seems to read accurately.
I used Custom Jim's excellent video to verify the sending unit's ohm scale and all seems to be good. However, my gauge does not go to empty when the ign is turned off.
Shouldn't it fall to E when the key is turned off?
I also turned-off the batt shut-off to verify the gauge was not getting power with the ign off.
Thoughts?
Thx

·
6,501 Posts
I'm re assembling my '72 and my (stock) fuel gauge seems to read accurately.
I used Custom Jim's excellent video to verify the sending unit's ohm scale and all seems to be good. However, my gauge does not go to empty when the ign is turned off.
Shouldn't it fall to E when the key is turned off?
I also turned-off the batt shut-off to verify the gauge was not getting power with the ign off.
Thoughts?
Thx
I'm glad the info helped out.

As far as the needle going to E when the key is off will not happen. This is due to how the gauge is made and it's also wired to a switched 12V.

I have though seen some move now and then and it could be from what might call a back feeding situation due to poor grounds. I haven't done this yet with putting a lot of info together but on a test I did on my headlight/parking light circuit I was seeing a voltage between the battery negative post and the taillight ground. I also saw a smaller voltage when I measured between the battery negative post and the firewall. Anyway, this is info for another day.

I would want my gauge to read all of the time when I'm driving and not be concerned with what it might do with the key off. Some newer cars do have a gauge test but not on the older ones.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts