Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick forum search but nothing came up...I know I've seen a few suggestions on what to do with the "sticky" feel on the rubber type steering wheels. If anyone can link me to that post it would be great...otherwise all suggestions welcomed!:beer:

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Get one of them cheesy covers. The ones that look like fake leather with a vinyl sring wrap!!!

Otherwise maybe the alcohal, or Simple Green, armor all, or a sand blaster. But like chicken man said test an out of sight area first.

·
Premium Member
11,467 Posts
Hey, if ya like them sticky wheels, I've got one out of an Omega (green) that we can deal on.:D I've tried several things on mine (I bought it for the steering column) and it's still sticky, really sticky. Hope someone here comes up with a good solution and maybe I'll put the wheel on eBay.:D

Dan (hates sticky wheels);)

·
Registered
406 Posts
I cleaned my wheel with some lacquer thinner and then sprayed it with some black vinyl dye. That was over a year ago and the sticky stuff hasn't come back!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Live and learn! I guess I'll have to add the "Is it sticky?" question with "any pics?" before buying parts next time. The alcohol really helped the SS horn pad. I'll try it on the wheel today. I plan on putting the SS pad on my hard wheel therefore I won't be too disappointed if doesn't remove all the "stickyness". Should this be a "sticky"?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
NIGHTSHADE said:
Otherwise maybe the alcohal, or Simple Green, armor all, or a sand blaster. But like chicken man said test an out of sight area first.

ummm...I wouldnt ever put that stuff on a steering wheel that I own....thats one sure way to make it slippery and hard to steer with....Not a safe thing to do IMO...;) :)

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
You might want to try "Fantastic" the all purpose house cleaner my arm rests on my IROC started to get that way when I bought it and that's how I cleaned them.Test an area cause it is agressive and could discolor the wheel a bit.

·
6,558 Posts
I've had sticky problems with the factory wheel in my 77 and I've heard it's from out gassing but I'm not totally sold on that.
On mine I sprayed on some diluted simple green and then let it soak a little while and then sprayed it again and then came back with it still wet with an old tooth brush to scrub it. Mine has a grain in it and the brush helped to get down into the grain to loosen up the oils and dirt from my hands that were in there. I then used a white towel or rag to wipe it off and then did it again until the rag or paper towel came up clean.
My opinion of just spraying something on it and wiping it off is like washing down a tire on a car with raised white letters. You are not going to get them as clean as you can and you need something to get in there and scrub the area's out good and if it's been a while since it's been cleaned it might take a few tries to break the dirt and oils loose.
I did my steering wheel once last year and so far to date it's been fine.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts