Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedometer is about 4-5 mph off, but that is easy to correct. The problem is that the needle reads about 10 mph below actual speed then bounces up to its actual reading.

What causes this "stickiness" and can it be cleaned or lubed?

The cable is new and the needle motion is smooth otherwise.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
unhook the speedo cable from the dash and spray wd40 or other lube in the cable and it should clear that right up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cable isn't the problem. It is new, the speedo doesn't bounce.

It seems to me like the shaft the needle is on is gummed up and restricts the movement of the gauge. I didn't take it apart enough to see what it would take to clean or lube the internal parts of the speedo. Just curious to know if anyone has and what kind of lube would work best.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
There is not a direct link between the cable and the needle. Any dirt or excess grease in the assembly can cause it to read wrong. Wear on the gears can also cause problems.
The speedometer in my 77 was reading wrong and it could never be dialed in with changing the driven gear in the transmission. Once I figured out it was in the head the original gear was the correct one. I changed to an Autometer speedometer, but that was a lot of work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts