Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got the car back together and took it for a spin. I always click the line lock button like a little kid. When I stopped the car just stayed stopped and I had a super stiff pedal. Is it time I rebuilt my line lock? I relieved pressure on the brake side of the valve and the car rolled just fine. I plan on racing thursday and would like to have this fixed asap. The line lock is several years old. Also it would click like usual then decided to stop.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car won't roll after you hit the brakes and release. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had that happen before also. I just changed to all new brakes and master cyl, BUT... I was curious and didnt look, but is it possable the rod is coming out of the master cyl just enough to cause a problem then go back in? I would make sure. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just had the same thing on friends stocker.what kind of front brakes do you have? we have mark willams our brake pad were worn down so much that
the piston was out far and bilt up brake dust and makeing them stick and slow to release.
new here...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have stock disc in front with almost new pads. the brakes aren't slow to release, they don't release. what fo you mean the rod comes out then back in causing the problem? once pressure is released from after the line lock the brakes are free, just they freeze up if you hit them again.

·
Registered
745 Posts
get a new one. A week ago my friend in his very nice mustang hes put atleast 20grand into his line lock locks up for some reason and he had to put it into a side of a hill to avoid going off a cliff!

·
Registered
576 Posts
get a new one. A week ago my friend in his very nice mustang hes put atleast 20grand into his line lock locks up for some reason and he had to put it into a side of a hill to avoid going off a cliff!
I was checking out this thread because I was thinking about installing one - Don't think I will now:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
i have stock disc in front with almost new pads. the brakes aren't slow to release, they don't release. what fo you mean the rod comes out then back in causing the problem? once pressure is released from after the line lock the brakes are free, just they freeze up if you hit them again.
The LL is stuck closed. Once you relieve the pressure from after the LL the car rolls. Then you hit the brakes fluid will flow through the LL but won't come back. It's like a one way valve. You can actually pump the brakes to slightly build pressure after you activate the LL.

You would be better off replacing it if you want to go Thursday. We are most likely not going camping now due to construction. So let me know if you are going to go to Irwindale and I'll try and make it out. Can't bring the car as engine and trans are out of it.

Good luck!:yes:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are gonna laugh...

when i put the microswitch back onto the shifter i somehow twisted the lines and they were connected. in other words, the line lock was constantly in the 'on' position. i don't know if i fried the solenoid or not, so i replaced the whole unit with a b&m one. the lines are different, so i just bent what i had to work. i had a hurst one, but they're like $120. my problem wasn't the line lock, it was the little cheapie switch.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yer old LL is most likely fine. It was doing its job.
I replaced it because it was in the 'on' position for like an hour before I shut the battery off. In other words, I don't wanna find out that it's going to stick when I go to race because it finally did break. Those things aren't supposed to be used for more than 60 seconds at a time apparently.

Why?:confused: This not that common of a problem and beside's it's not hard to fix.
Had I done a little testing I'd have found out that I could fix it in about 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I was checking out this thread because I was thinking about installing one - Don't think I will now
Chuck, it's pretty damn hard to blame an accident like that on a line lock; you would have to activate the button while laying on the brake pedal. Some guys will put the line lock button on a switch so it can't be bumped accidently while street driving. I can sit there tapping on the button all day while driving and it has no effect on the brakes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts