Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating a system in my '66 but not sure what to do. I have an Alpine deck that's a few years old that I'd like to use. I don't have speakers yet...but do not want them in the package tray area. Any ideas?? I would like to see some photos of what you have. I am also curious about putting the deck in the trunk....any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

·
6,561 Posts
If you do not want them in the rear deck then that leaves the rear side panels, the doors, possibly the kick panels, under the dash, under the seats, or in the factory indash location. The choice is yours to where you want them. If you do not want to modify the factory side panels, kick panels or the doors like you do not want to modify the rear deck then this will leave underdash, underseat, or the factory dash location. Speakers underdash or underseat will need enclosures around them while ones in the dash will need to be installed in an infinite baffle style or also have an enclsure around them too. The higher the frequency the more directional the speaker becomes. If you want to hear the cymbals and upper frequencies you need to be able to see the speakers or have them reflect off of a hard surface like the back glass or windshield. Speakers under the dash pointed downward or speakers under the seat pointed forward will allow your ankles to possibly hear the high frequencies but they have a harder time reaching your ears while you are sitting in the car's seats.
You can install speakers in a stealth type of installation however you will not be able to mount the speakers and have sound come through the factory vinyls. The speaker must be allowed to have the sound flow unimpeded through it's grill or covering.
What do you want to see or not want to see or what could be covered in different material to suite your needs and wants ?.
Jim

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
hi oldschl ,it's a tough decision to make when it comes to stereos.to make it look stock or to use newer stuff. the hard part was what do you do with the speakers? do you cut holes in your door panels,kick panels,or rear deck? if your car is nice you wouldn't want to do that.there are new products out there now that will make your system look great without cutting up the interior.first i got the new chrome faceplate that lets you use any din stereo.next get the new kick panel made for 6.5 speakers.order them without the cheap speakers.these fit nice with little trimming and can be painted.next i made a new rear package tray out of thin plywood and speaker cloth.i used 6x9 speakers and it hurt to cut out the holes.i don't like looking at them sitting on top.here's a link to some of my photos to show what i did.i hope this helps.good luck.http://photobucket.com/albums/d90/novafied/

·
Registered
126 Posts
Stereo Faceplate

Novafied, where did you get the stereo faceplate? I would like to install a CD player without cutting up the dash. Most of the cutouts on the stock looking ones are too small I believe for a CD player.

Thanks, red66

DCP_0361.jpg

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
hi red66 ,look in the bs section .they are talking about it there. i listed a link where i bought my stuff at .you can get it at any nova parts supplier.look in my photobucket link for some photos.also look at batman's link too as he used the same parts.:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Found a face plate on ebay that someone had made and cut my own opening for the new radio bolts up like radio delete plate and has a new stereo with cd clean install

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Here's mine

And my Kick panel speakers....I changed out the pioneer for JL audio component speakers...What a difference good speakers make!!!BM

·
Registered
52 Posts
Batman and Novafied
Where dd you get your kickpanel speakers? I haven't been able to find any.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Spray on sound dampening

Hey Novafied,
It looks like you had sound dampening sprayed on, how is that workin out for ya, does it work well, did you do it yourself? What is it called and where can you get it
Alex

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
hi alex,the sound proofing material i used is called "quietcar". i bought 5 gals.of it and used almost all of it.i gave it 3 real good coats from the firewall to the trunk.i did inside the doors,rear quarter panels,package tray area,and every spot i could fit the gun.i used one of those $13 undercoat guns from a autobody supply.i also put 2 layers of roofing membrane(has the peel n stick type of backing)and used a heat gun to seal it to the floor.the end result came out great.no more road noise,sweeks and the car feels solid. i can hear the stereo without blasting it. i looked at other stuff but wanted a spray on product.here's their link,it explains the product real good....bobhttp://www.quietcoat.com/

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
i also put 2 layers of roofing membrane(has the peel n stick type of backing)and used a heat gun to seal it to the floor.
I didn't see the roofing stuff on your floor in the pics. Was it put down before you sprayed the quietcar on it? Or was it put down after the quietcar?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I have had great satisfaction out of Alpine.

And I have purchase my fair share of them.

Wish they still made the CDA 7893!!!

I like the fact the new Alpine systems with satellite radio tuner and receiver works for XM or Sirius radio.

I was one of the first 500 on XM radio. With a Alpine unit in my 89 Corvette.

When they lost NASCAR, they lost me!

Al

I like Alpine, thats just me.

I have had issues with Kenwood, very disappointed.

Eclispe radio's :puke:

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Home made

Here is a picture of a DIN stereo that installed in my 66.

The plate was hand made and painted with Dupli color.

B

·
Registered
801 Posts
I agree with the people that are Pro-Alpine.
I've got the CDA-9885 in my truck, I love it. I'm going to put one in the nova and '90 vette as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts