Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a 12 disc changer ansd a 100 amp amplifier in my trunk.
the changer is the type that taps into the antenna lead and you tune it to 87.1. my problom is that when the car is running and the cd plaer is on you get lots of noise in the speakers. once you turn off the changer and just play local channels the noise goes away. do I need some type of filter???
Thanks for any advice.. That noise is annoying!

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
You must keep tring different grounds to the body and frame for the amp. I have put tons of amps in cars through out my life. You may think a spot is a good ground and it won't be, that I haven't figured out myself, but even on my current everyday car I have a two amp set-up and had to move my ground 3 times before it was happy. I had a ton of engine noise until I found that sweet ground....:) Now , not even a hint of noise.
That should be the same with a Cd Changer

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas, Ill reground it all tonight and even buy a noise supressor!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
another way to help eliminate nose is to hook the power directly to the battery itself...seems to work...what the other guys said is important too....noise supressors and good grounds go a long ways towards eliminating electricial noise

good luck:)

·
6,497 Posts
ONEBAD2 said:
I recently put a 12 disc changer ansd a 100 amp amplifier in my trunk. The changer is the type that taps into the antenna lead and you tune it to 87.1. my problem is that when the car is running and the cd player is on you get lots of noise in the speakers. Once you turn off the changer and just play local channels the noise goes away. do I need some type of filter???
Thanks for any advice.. That noise is annoying!
Like anything else you need to troubleshoot the system first.

Here are some possibilities:

How is the noise with the engine off ?.

What kind of noise is it ?

Does it vary with engine RPM or by turning things on like the headlights, turn signals, etc.?.

Look and see if the changer is close to the amplifier and if so, try moving the two away from each other (it could be an induced signal out of the amplifier).

Look to see if the cabling at the changer, at the FM modulator, and at the radio is fully seated.

The FM modulator may need to be grounded somewhere else but it is grounded on the outside of the coax cable for the antenna.

Is the cabling for the amplifier run next to the changer wiring ?. This could induce a noise from one cable into another.

You could also have a defective changer or a part of it that is defective. What brand and model is it ?. Was the unit new or used ?.

Sadly there is no one magical noise filter out there that will work in all situations. It could be from a poorly engineered part, and installation problem, or a problem with the vehicle.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts