Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be trying to install a cd player in my Phoenix. The panel has been cut already (see picture). The opening is much wider than the head unit I have.
The area of the opening is flat. Any ideas on how to install this and have it look pretty good? :confused:

[/IMG]

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would make a black plastic plate to cover or replace the wood grain that is in that area, so that it matches the other black plastic of the rest of the dash. Then cut the correct size hole in that plastic piece.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Sounds like a pretty good way considering the hole I'm dealing with. Do you know where I might get some plastic to make a plate out of? Any thoughts as to how to fasten it to the instrument panel? Maybe use small black sheet metal screws?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Type in "Abs sheet" in ebay. I have had to do the same thing on a few cars. I used 2 part epoxy and on a few and I used 4 countersunk screws spaced out to look factory.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Maybe even get some sheet metal or some aluminum and paint it black, that might give you a stronger base. If you use screws or bolts, make sure to put some washers on the back side to help distribute the loads. Or, you could use the plate as a trim plate that isn't load bearing, and get some stainless screws to accent it.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thanks guys. That gives me some good alternatives to work with. I appreciate your input!

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
Your local craft supply store should have both plastic and metal sheets of material. One nearest me is a Micheal's. The sales help have started calling me "that car guy". When I ask for assistance in locating something, they ask what the project is :) So far I have purchased sheets of plastic, sheets of brushed aluminum and several types of foam sheets to seal the heat/AC doors.

For you single guys....there are a lot of women there :devil:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Philip!:) My wife goes in there all the time. What an honor to be called "That Car Guy"!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts