Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I REALLY dont want to cut up the dash, and purchased one of the underdash mounts for an Alpine CD/MP3 compatible stereo. I'm looking at putting it in the glovebox but not sure if it will fit once I install a Vintage Air kit. Anyone have this setup already?
I was also thinking of building some kind of console just in front of SS console and mounting the underdash bezel inverted, if that makes sense. What have you guys done for mounting?

·
6,517 Posts
The nice thing on the DIN type of radios (panel type that are 2" tall by 7" wide) is that on the sides of the radio chassis there are threaded screw holes (some are metric threads and others are a sort of wood type of thread). You can bend up some flat steel to connect from the sides of the radio to other structures behind the dash. After the radio is mounted solidly you could then build filler panels to fill in the rest of the glove box. If you do use the side mounting holes, make sure you use the right length screws. If they are too long they can cause internal damage to the radio or it's transport mechanism.

One thing you may want to get is if the radio has a wireless remote control and it's going to be mounted in the glove box or under the seat is to buy an IR (infrared) repeater. In the dash or some where up front a receiver eye gets mounted and this gets the signal from your remote control. This eye then has two small wires that go to an electronic module that wires up to 12 volts and ground and then out of this box a transmitter eye gets located either in front of the radio or attached to the face of the radio and this emmiter/transmitter eye sends out a signal to the radio.

Jim

·
Registered
101 Posts
To keep the interior stock looking I used velcro and mounted the stereo under the pass front seat, also use the remote and works fine ! :2cents:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Talk to Tom, he knows of a way that you can run an Ipod or I phone to an amp, basically replacing your head unit. He did email me the link but I lost it. It's what I'm going to do if I ever get there lol!!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the feedback

Talk to Tom, he knows of a way that you can run an Ipod or I phone to an amp, basically replacing your head unit. He did email me the link but I lost it. It's what I'm going to do if I ever get there lol!!!
I thought about and looked into this, but when I do an install, I go all the way. I got the Alpine 137 HD because its got the subwoofer output and everything. I'm on the fence about a 5 channel amp or 4 channel and dedicated subwoofer. I want the adjustment flexibility with dedicated front and rear RCAs with the sub. Planning to use old school Soundstream Reference for the amp(s) and JL audio for subwoofer. Still trying to decide on Focal or CDT for the seperates, front and rear.
Probably going to have to dust off my fiberglassing skills to build my speaker pods into the kick panels:D If I'm playing some Metallica, AC/DC, or Journey live.....it's got to feel like Im there.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I thought about and looked into this, but when I do an install, I go all the way. I got the Alpine 137 HD because its got the subwoofer output and everything. I'm on the fence about a 5 channel amp or 4 channel and dedicated subwoofer. I want the adjustment flexibility with dedicated front and rear RCAs with the sub. Planning to use old school Soundstream Reference for the amp(s) and JL audio for subwoofer. Still trying to decide on Focal or CDT for the seperates, front and rear.
Probably going to have to dust off my fiberglassing skills to build my speaker pods into the kick panels:D If I'm playing some Metallica, AC/DC, or Journey live.....it's got to feel like Im there.
You don't have to lie, when you listen to Air Supply you have to FEEL the emotion!!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thought about that too

this is what I have done. you can go over to www.classictruckconsoles.com they have a verity of consoles. not too expensive. I'm putting guage pods in where radio used to go. I am happy with my console. I put in a double din touch screen. :)
I like your setup, but trying to keep my SS console where its at. I even thought about cutting through the top of the console and installing it straight down but the instructions mention to not do that for CD playback, although I probably wont do that much

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Regardless of the head you will be using my suggestion would be for you to use an amp. The alpine unit you have, while good, will sound SOOO much better running their Imprint Audio Processor and a 5 channel amp like their PDX-V9.

Since you're running a component system it would be shame if you didn't run the Imprint and Amp with it too.

John

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Regardless of the head you will be using my suggestion would be for you to use an amp. The alpine unit you have, while good, will sound SOOO much better running their Imprint Audio Processor and a 5 channel amp like their PDX-V9.

Since you're running a component system it would be shame if you didn't run the Imprint and Amp with it too.

John
john....I have that setup in my 67...it rocks......that imprint processor is badazz....sounds like your in the theater
adam...you should really consider the imprint processor.....i have the microphone and software you can borrow

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
definitely

John
I had already planned to use an amp. In fact, I just worked out a deal for a perfect condition Soundstream 644s like one I used to own. Probably get another Reference amp like the 500sx or 700sx for the subs. I'll probably take you up on the mic and software Bruce. Its crazy how much further car audio has come in the last 5 years
Trying to decide on some Focal VB, JL Audio C5 or CDT HD components now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts