Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished mounting up my Taurus Fan to the Summit Aluminum Radiator. Thought I'd share pics of the install.
I've heard a few SNS members stating that they mocked up tabs to hold the fan to the radiator; however, there is a tab with a hole on the bottom of the fan that you can use to hold the bottom down to the fan (see pic 1). There is enough extra spacing at the bottom of the radiator (pic 4) to drill a hole for the tab on the fan.

Also used Mr. Peer's (SNS Member) mounting ideas as well... thanks bud!

Here you go....

Pic 1: Tab on bottom of the Taurus Fan (was on top but Taurus fan was turned upside down for install).

Pic 2: Drilled hole on bottom of the radiator

Pic 3: Locating hole to be drilled

Pic 4: Bottom of fan mounted to radiator (used plastic spacer for good fit.

Pic 5: Bracket used for top mount (from OSH).

Pic 6: Bracket cut to fit exsisting mount holes on radiator (used SNS member "66rich" mounts for direct fit [URL="http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63994&highlight=summit+radiator[/URL]

Pic 7: Fan mounted to radiator

Pic 8: Finished product mounted using SNS member's (66rich) mounts

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Awesome mounting description. :)

Do we get a wiring "smack down" on your Taurus fan install also??

If there are more instrux coming, I'll wait before I make a copy of this thread for Paul's Best of Tech area. That way it'll live in two areas and be even more accessible.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I am planning the same install over the winter. Already have the rad, fan, and "rich" mounts. :D

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
If your fan is 180° out, would you need a 0° or a 360° thermostat to correct the situation?

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
If your fan is 180° out, would you need a 0° or a 360° thermostat to correct the situation?
Now that is funny,

I also noticed it looks like there is no engine in that car or the 66 has a ton of room. My 3rd gen w/BB was an extremely tight fit, much shaving of the shroud.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Now that is funny,

I also noticed it looks like there is no engine in that car or the 66 has a ton of room. My 3rd gen w/BB was an extremely tight fit, much shaving of the shroud.
LOL. No, engine hasn't been mounted in yet. Was waiting for the conversion kit before mounting it in. So, for the meantime... thought I'd fumble around with this.
Yes, it's upside down... I know. :D. But that doesnt change the direction of the fan.... um... does it? :confused: :D
About 80 percent of the Taurus fan install pictures that I've seen were upside down. But, I should've instructed to turn it upside down on the step-by-step huh? Ahh... they'll figure it out.
In any case... worked for me! :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
is that the SUM-380325 radiator? I am prob going to get one and RICH it into my 62 then work on the fan and shroud. So the Taurus Fan is better than getting a shroud and fan from summit? Thx

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
is that the SUM-380325 radiator? I am prob going to get one and RICH it into my 62 then work on the fan and shroud. So the Taurus Fan is better than getting a shroud and fan from summit? Thx
Yup, thats the 380325. In regards to which is better (electric fan vs. manual fan + shroud)... I've seen a recent thread where people had pros and cons for each. As for value... you can pull a taurus fan (3.8L) out of a junkyard for less than $25. I bought mine for $12 on a 1/2 off sale at a local pick'n'pull.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Yes, you have seen pictures on this site of dual fans, however the Taurus fan as mentioned above is a two-speed single fan. I put one in my car last season...or was it the season before (time goes by too fast). It has been great and only low speed is required to keep my modified 350 running as high as 195 on hot days in stop-and-go traffic.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
How many amps do those taurus fans pull? I know there are two speeds, what is pulled on the highest?
I have seen 25/70 amps. I am sure starting from stop to high would have a big draw. Mine has 3 realsy a 25amp for low another 25amp for to removeground from the 1st 25amp relay and apply ground to the 70amp relay for high.
I too have an adjustable t-stat switch for high, it comes on at 200*. That is usually after I run the car and shut it off and the temp rises.
I made the mistake of leaving the fan and water pump on once while fueling up during the summer last year and the car wouldn't start for about 20 minutes until it built up enough of a charge to spin the engine up and enough juice for the MSD.:yes: This was with a new Optima red top and a 140amp alternator.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts