Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 74 Nova and need to replace the original steering wheel no tilt because I have no leg room. Please help any suggestions are appreciated, pics are a plus. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Welcome to the site..

Do you want to replace only the steering wheel or do you want to replace the fixed column with a tilt column?

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
welcome. I used a 75 77 x body(olds) column in my 73. I think there is an article on this site. I did need to change the wire harness pigtail, but that was just switching wires to the other plug order

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want a smaller steering wheel but was told that I shouldn’t because I would have a hard time turning. I am looking at the budnik. Is it best that I do a tilt and do the same size wheel? Or downsizing the steering wheel would be ok

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good do you where it is on this site I’m not trying to spend $900 on a tilt if I can use an Oldsmobile version for less

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I just happen to have a 74 Cutlas tilt column.. It’s a column shift model. I don’t know if your floor plate is different..

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I bought one of the Summit brand custom steering wheels. It's a little smaller than the stock one. I have no trouble at all turning (I have power steering). You have to buy an adapter to go with most aftermarket steering wheels, which is usually offered as an option with the wheel. It's no big deal to replace - you just have to use a steering wheel puller tool, which you can borrow from a local auto parts store.

Can't help you with the tilt wheel. They are just about impossible to find used - unless you get one from a different type of car, and then you're own your own trying to make it work. I gave up and kept my non-tilt column. I'm happy enough with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts