Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what size steering wheel everyone is using? I have TCI clip W/ power rack and an Ididit column. I was looking at Grant but the one I like is 13 1/2 " in diameter. Will this be big enough to drive with?

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
To each his own but usually the smaller the wheel the more you have to steer the car. What I mean is with a stock size wheel there is less effort to keep the car straight on the road. With a smaller wheel you are constantly moving it back and forth, just a little bit maybe, but none-the-less you have to work at it more than you do with a larger steering wheel. I had a Grant and it scared the he** out of me on the interstate. Now I leave my elbow on the door and put the wheel between my thumb and forefinger and cruise all day!

·
3,875 Posts
To each his own but usually the smaller the wheel the more you have to steer the car. What I mean is with a stock size wheel there is less effort to keep the car straight on the road. With a smaller wheel you are constantly moving it back and forth, just a little bit maybe, but none-the-less you have to work at it more than you do with a larger steering wheel. I had a Grant and it scared the he** out of me on the interstate. Now I leave my elbow on the door and put the wheel between my thumb and forefinger and cruise all day!
That doesn't make any sense.:confused: I can see increased effort with a smaller wheel, but not more steering input.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I knew I wasn't saying it correctly. I don't mean effort as in how strong you need to be.....I am talking about how "quick" a smaller wheel is compared to a larger stock size wheel. With power steering at 70 mph that tiny Grant wheel is scarey!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a 13.5 inch grant wheel on my car, with the stock ratio steering I can attest to the fact that the car is somewhat twitchy, especially on the freeway. I recently changed to a Cadillac box; the slower ratio makes the car much easier to drive with the smaller steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I have a 13.5 inch grant wheel on my car, with the stock ratio steering I can attest to the fact that the car is somewhat twitchy, especially on the freeway. I recently changed to a Cadillac box; the slower ratio makes the car much easier to drive with the smaller steering wheel.
Thanks....this is what I am talking about concerning a smaller steering wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts