Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
once again, haha, another question. i need to know how to take off the steering wheel in my 71 nova, i have the nut off and everything but it just doesnt slip off as easy as i thought, how do ya do it?

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
You need a steering wheel puller. Go to your local parts store and they should have one. Will pop it right off.

I made mine out of aluminum stock, drilled and tapped a center hole and ran a piece of ready rod through it and drilled smaller holes to go to different style wheels.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
When using a steering wheel puller, be careful not to over tighten the center threaded rod. If it gets really hard to turn, and the wheel has not popped off, firmly tap on the center shaft with a hammer. It should come loose.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Quick question. Is getting it back on as easy as it is to get it off?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It's even easier put it on with the spline lined up and tighten the center nut.
Yer done!:D

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I'm not familiar with first gen steering columns. Most of the columns I have worked on had an alignment mark on the shaft and on the wheel. Line up the marks, install the wheel, and tighten the nut. I would not use an impact on the nut. Unless you have a torque wrench and specification, tightening up by hand is good enough.
If there aren't any alignment marks, make sure the front wheels are straight before installing the wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts