Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I turn steering wheel (car is equipped with power steering Nova 1973 350 CU) I get sound like there is an air or vacuum leak inside steering column :confused: only when I turn wheel.
I don`t remember this happening before subframe bushing change.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
The sound you're hearing could be some parts rubbing inside the steering column.

Since the steering box is bolted to the subframe and the column is bolted to the car body, changing the subframe bushings probably altered the positioning between the steering box & column. The rubber "rag joint" coupler between the box & column will take up some mis-alignment, but not a lot. So you might have a situation where the steering shaft is being pushed upward or pulled downward in the column just enough to cause some parts inside to rub.

If that's the case, the fix should be fairly simple. Just loosen (but don't remove) the 2 nuts that secure the steering column to the underside of the dash (they take a 9/16" socket if I remember correctly). The column hanger bracket has slotted holes at that location so you should be able to slide the column up or down as needed to relieve the pressure and stop the rubbing. Then re-tighten those 2 nuts. The plate where the column passes through the firewall will probably be flexible enough to allow this adjustment, but if not you might also have to loosen that up where it clamps onto the column.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sound you're hearing could be some parts rubbing inside the steering column.

Since the steering box is bolted to the subframe and the column is bolted to the car body, changing the subframe bushings probably altered the positioning between the steering box & column. The rubber "rag joint" coupler between the box & column will take up some mis-alignment, but not a lot. So you might have a situation where the steering shaft is being pushed upward or pulled downward in the column just enough to cause some parts inside to rub.

If that's the case, the fix should be fairly simple. Just loosen (but don't remove) the 2 nuts that secure the steering column to the underside of the dash (they take a 9/16" socket if I remember correctly). The column hanger bracket has slotted holes at that location so you should be able to slide the column up or down as needed to relieve the pressure and stop the rubbing. Then re-tighten those 2 nuts. The plate where the column passes through the firewall will probably be flexible enough to allow this adjustment, but if not you might also have to loosen that up where it clamps onto the column.
I will try that.
But loosing the clamp on firewall and 2 bolts under column will allow only to move column closer or further to the steering box but it will not change the angle/alignment of column to the steering box.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
I will try that.
But loosing the clamp on firewall and 2 bolts under column will allow only to move column closer or further to the steering box but it will not change the angle/alignment of column to the steering box.
You're right, the adjustment I described earlier will only move the column closer to or farther from the box, but not change the angle between the two. I suggested that adjustment because it's usually a pushing in or pulling out of the steering shaft in relation to the column that can cause things inside to rub.

Although the flexible "rag joint" tends to handle angular misalignment better than lateral push/pull misalignment, it probably would be a good idea to take a look at the angle now that things have likely changed a little with the new subframe bushings. If you do need to adjust the angle, you can loosen up the 3 bolts that attach the steering box to the subframe and that will usually allow you to tilt the box a little bit. And I think the lower end of the column can be moved up/down a little bit by loosening the 4 or 5 bolts that secure the lower plate to the firewall (some of them might be hidden under a plastic trim plate). And there is a gasket between the plate & firewall that might require carefully pulling the plate back away from the firewall to get it unstuck before the plate can be moved up/down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts