Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my steering column with a doner column and also replaced the rag joint with one from a doner car. the problem is now the steering wheel is off a quarter turn. all the parts are supposed to be only one way to install because of shaft splining and bolt sizes so what happened::confused: i took it apart twice and got the same results, isnt that the definition of insanity??? dan

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
just a thought, can you turn that rag joint one bolt to bring the steering wheel back to the proper position. did i say that right?

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,127 Posts
I replaced my steering column with a doner column and also replaced the rag joint with one from a doner car. the problem is now the steering wheel is off a quarter turn. all the parts are supposed to be only one way to install because of shaft splining and bolt sizes so what happened::confused: i took it apart twice and got the same results, isnt that the definition of insanity??? dan

What year model car? both yours and the donor.
see my post it may help
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640754

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the replies. steering wheel can only go on one way because of the horn wire plastic tube. the locking ring can only go on one way because of the flat area in the spline, also the rag joint can only go on one way because of the flat area in the spline. yes an alignment shop can fix it but why cant I? I didn't do anything with the tie rods or anything else that would change the wheel. it should all line up, it was good before it changed the column and joint. not sure what year the doner column and joint came out of but am installing in a 72. chevy didn't make different columns for different years did they? that is not something GM did much of back then. thanks again Dan

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I'm not sure why it isn't lined back up, but you can realign it by undoing the tie rod sleeves and turning the equally the same way to square or center the wheel correctly. Be sure to mark and count how much you turn each sleeve to keep the front wheels parallel.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,127 Posts
Did your indexing dot on the wheel hub line up with the line on the steering shaft?
referring to my post, note you CAN turn the wheel about 60 deg., if needed.

As to what caused this, well blame the previous owner...You probably were not overly concerned when you were taking it apart.

they may have put the wheel in 45 deg. off vice doing a proper alignment. One problem with doing tat is you do not have equal turns left to right.

Start by indexing the wheel. Ignore all else then Look at your rag joint, most can be put in 180 out.

With your steering wheel locked and straight ahead Look at your tires:

Are they turned to the left or right? With car raised put a 4-6 foot level or other straight edge on the outside of the front tire across the middle and "aim " at the rear tire. You should not be able to see the rear tire as your toe in is 1/16-3/16". ( check that spec). adjust your tie rod adjusters to get the sight about the same on each side. As you are doing this also check your tor in by using a tape measure and measure between a designated tread on each tire, rolling from front to rear.
Once you close then sight to the inside of the tires to the back tire, your aim should be just to the inside of the rear tire. providing you have same tires all around. If not you'll want to factor that in...wing it.
I do the inside last because I bang my head a lot under the car, even up on my lift. seriously.

You can also use string at the axles, caulk on the floor etc. I just found it to be easier to use a straight edge and sight it in.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the info. will take it all apart one more time! will check the index marks and go from there. thanks again and if i dont succeed i will take it to the alingment shop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To help with toe, hold a piece of chalk, on one of the treads, & turn the tire until you have a chalk line around it (do to both tires). Use a point to scribe a line around the chalk line. Then you can measure the line, on the front & back of the tire. The difference of the 2 measurements is your toe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts