Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steering wheel hub broke!!!! Boy did I get the sh-- scared out of me. I was driving today and the steering felt a little lose. So I slowed down and then bang the whole thing came off. Right in a crave. Took her through the weeds!!!!. Luckily it came back on the road. The aluminum block that is the hub was in a lot of little pieces. Never seen one do that before. Lucky for me I carry tools. Got the old vice gripes out and brought her home in one piece.
Now guess who is getting a call Monday. Never seen aluminum come apart like that before.
Grant GT steering wheel and hub.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Holy crap!!! Im glad you were able to get her stopped in the weeds and not the hard stuff, like a car or cement block.. What a wild ride..

Ive never heard of aluminum fracturing like that. Usually those parts are made from 6160 hopefully T6 and the failure rate is very low for that material. Interested to hear what they have to say. If they are serious, and they should be they will want the pieces back to do a complete examination. Glad you and the car are ok. JR

·
Registered
762 Posts
Glad no one was hurt (you or the car). Hmm.... Vice grip steering kind of a cool name for a steering wheel. Got any Pics?
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I blame church!!!:devil:

:poke::poke::poke::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir:

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I have a Grant wheel and one of the three bolts threads pulled out. I found out when my horn started honking and I pulled it apart and found the stripped screw. I called them and they shipped the parts express after I email them the receipt off purchase.

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
1992 Chrysler mini van the same thing happened to my wife. She got in the car to go to work in the morning and the steering wheel came off and fell into her lap. The only thing holding it on were the horn and air bag wires. We attribute the damage to the fact that my very large Bro-in-law was using the steering wheel to get himself in and out of the car and broke it. Scared us because she drove home on the highway the night before.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took what was left of the hub to TVA today and let a friend look at it. He said it was metal fatigue. That the aluminum had been real hot for a long period of time. More that likely in a fire somewhere like a warehouse or something like that. I sent Grant a note on it lets see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Most are cast aluminum.

Get a LeCarra and you will be way happier.

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
Holy smokes Tim..........sure glad everything worked out!

I blame church!!!:devil:

:poke::poke::poke::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir:
Your right Bryan............Tim I am going to have to give you a refund and make you put the stock stuff back on.....that way you will leave it in the garage and not want to drive it and mess things up:D

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep your money!!! I will keep the CBR stuff on and drive the crap out it. But frist I have to get the crap off the seat.:yes:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Most are cast aluminum.
No... Really??? Show some data.. Cause I didnt know.. Its pretty cheap to have a turning center pop out parts with a swipe of the mouse to change the diameters. A whole lot more expensive to recreate a die mold for stamping when you dont even know how many parts are gonna be needed. Cast??? Really?? That surprised me. Where did you get yer info from??? Im curious now. A turning center can pop these simple parts out big time. I cant see casting them... Im always learning here guys. I love it... JR

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
No... Really??? Show some data.. Cause I didnt know.. Its pretty cheap to have a turning center pop out parts with a swipe of the mouse to change the diameters. A whole lot more expensive to recreate a die mold for stamping when you dont even know how many parts are gonna be needed. Cast??? Really?? That surprised me. Where did you get yer info from??? Im curious now. A turning center can pop these simple parts out big time. I cant see casting them... Im always learning here guys. I love it... JR
well I've only dealt with a few of them for different vehicles but all of them were indeed cast pieces. they were all Grant by the way.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It takes about twice the time to machine a set of dies as it would to 'spin the part'.

After you have the dies made, you can injection mold them ( die cast ) in just a few seconds. The dies are sent through a cool process, then the part is removed, and dies are sent back through.

If it takes two hours to 'spin the part' complete with threaded and tapped holes, etc.. but you can die cast it start to finish in 20 minutes..

you get the idea.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
It takes about twice the time to machine a set of dies as it would to 'spin the part'.

After you have the dies made, you can injection mold them ( die cast ) in just a few seconds. The dies are sent through a cool process, then the part is removed, and dies are sent back through.

If it takes two hours to 'spin the part' complete with threaded and tapped holes, etc.. but you can die cast it start to finish in 20 minutes..

you get the idea.
Good point... Oh, but its more like 10 minutes for a cnc center with live tooling. Turn, drill, tap and the whole works. And... If the machine can except a large enough bar through the spindle you have a bar feeder. Endless supply of aluminum to be cut. Guess then they could add the all important buzz word for car parts, billet LOL Which IMO is funny. Billet??? Its either cast or machined. When machined they like to throw in the billet word Its all good. Well, till yer hanging on to a steering wheel and its not attached to anything but your hands. JR

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good point... Oh, but its more like 10 minutes for a cnc center with live tooling. Turn, drill, tap and the whole works. And... If the machine can except a large enough bar through the spindle you have a bar feeder. Endless supply of aluminum to be cut. Guess then they could add the all important buzz word for car parts, billet LOL Which IMO is funny. Billet??? Its either cast or machined. When machined they like to throw in the billet word Its all good. Well, till yer hanging on to a steering wheel and its not attached to anything but your hands. JR
Will never herd a word from GRANT. Got looking through some of my stuff and found an old metal one. Had to re-drill and tap it. But I do fell a lot safer with it over the cast one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts