Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, its that newbie with the leaks 馃槃.
My turn signal was all loose and wobbly, cracked and it honked my horn every 2 seconds. So I replaced it. The replacement went well. However, now my steering is a bit tight and no longer corrects itself/returns. If I turn right and let go of the wheel. The car continues turning right. It did not do this before the replacement. Could it be the lock plate? Possibly a bulkier relay? I figured I would ask before I took it all apart again. Any help is appreciated 馃檹

Registered
Something is binding up on the column. There must be something off, or maybe the wrong part? I know I had replaced a turn signal in another car years ago and found out that a piece had broke off and was binding things up inside.

Registered
Check your steering components first, ball joints, steering arms, etc, to make sure your problem isn鈥檛 out front first.
Jack the front end up to get the front wheels off the ground so that you can turn the steering wheel freely. This way you don鈥檛 have to take it for a drive to check it and can listen to where the binding is going on. Try turning the wheel with the new part still in and noting the resistance on the wheel, then remove the new part, put the steering wheel back on without the part and see if there鈥檚 a difference. If not, there鈥檚 something else binding up.

Registered
If it had no issues before the part replacement then anything besides checking that new part first is extra work. Check to make sure everything new is well seated behind the wheel in the column. You make be right in that the new part is just a touch thicker than the old part.
I'd say pull it apart and check everything closely.

Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
First... Did you ever get your power steering box leak fixed (another discussion)?
If so, who did the work?... you?.... someone else?
Was any other work... or adjustments done to the power steering box?
If the power steering box repair was done, did the steering work (no binding) after the repair?

If I turn right and let go of the wheel. The car continues turning right. It did not do this before the replacement.
Did the new binding issue start right after the turn signal repair was done?
Did you do the turn signal part replacement?... or did someone else do the work?
If someone else did the part replacement... did they also work on any other parts of the steering system?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the responses guys! Not sure why I didn't get notified lol.

So the binding issue started after the part replacement. I did not get the gearbox situation worked out yet. The steering felt fine and was working fine until the turn signal replacement. I removed the wheel right now and found that the bearing may be whats causing it. This yellow ring is all chewed up.
The replacement parts are identical. I dont think its that. Could this bearing be the issue? Maybe everything was just held together and when I replaced the part, things were allowed to move?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you. I figured that out the hard way. However there's another bearing ring under the one that was broken. Are there 2 upper bearings?
Take a look at Ground Up SS396.com for the upper bearing, part # FBK-TILT.
Rudy
Should I just get 2 and replace them both?
Last question, sorry for bugging you lol.
How would I go about removing the old broken ones? All that came out was the yellow plastic ring pictured above

Registered
Hello, its that newbie with the leaks 馃槃.
My turn signal was all loose and wobbly, cracked and it honked my horn every 2 seconds. So I replaced it. The replacement went well. However, now my steering is a bit tight and no longer corrects itself/returns. If I turn right and let go of the wheel. The car continues turning right. It did not do this before the replacement. Could it be the lock plate? Possibly a bulkier relay? I figured I would ask before I took it all apart again. Any help is appreciated 馃檹
Highly recco you not drive this critter til steer is fixed right. Take it bak down til u find the evil spirit whats got it in a BIND.
Shouldn't be to tuf to find parts scraped up that shouldnt B. Nu parts should match old to the .001". "Close Enuf" usually isn't

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.