Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 Nova. My steering shaft is bad and I need a new one. I have checked everywhere and cant find anything. When I say steering shaft I mean the shaft from the bottom of the steering column to the steering box. Maybe its called an intermediate shaft. Anyway.... Where can i get a new one? Or is there an alternative? I did some reading here where somebody used a jeep steering shaft? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks X

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Take a picture of it and post it up here that way we all know what your looking at. What’s wrong with the shaft? This is not usually something that goes bad..

·
Registered
456 Posts
The shaft from a 96-98 Grand Cherokee will fit a GM G body for sure and has u-joints on both ends, not sure on the Nova. I have a 78 and I have one of the Jeep shafts. I'll try to give it a look this weekend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok sorry it took so long but I had to work everyday so got this week off so here is the photo. The part that is bad is the rubber joint at the top of the photo.

Oh and whats wrong with it?? It's loose. The joint under the rubber must be bad cause you can grab the shaft and move it up and down. Every time you hit a bump you can feel it in the steering wheel

Thanks X

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sent you a message a while ago. Have a good used one. Will try and dig it out over holiday weekend and post up a pic here. Enjoy the cowboys tomorrow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not sure what is under that rubber boot. Maybe some sort of u-joint? I think the rag joint is down lower by the steering box.

@daveschevyparts.. yes please let me know.

Anybody have an idea where to get a new one or what else may work?

Thanks X

·
Super Moderator
11,996 Posts

These are the parts in that joint, there will be some movement especially in and out. It can be disassembled, cleaned and checked for wear. If not worn excessively it can be packed with grease, reassembled with a new boot. Available at Summit Racing, Amazon and other places. Amazon sells a kit with a new expander spring and shoes as well as the boot for around $15.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts