Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I get the exhaust installed on the car my next project will be to tackle the steering column and steering shaft install. I have a 63 with a TCI front clip and Hedman Elite Headers (68168). I am going to look for a column at the local junkyard instead of paying $$$ for some of the aftermarket columns.

What do I need to connect the steering column to the manual rack? I was thinking vibration dampener u joint to double DD shaft. Run that through a support bearing and connecting to another u joint at the rack.
Is that correct? See drawing.
Is the support bearing necessary?
Do I need a vibration dampener?
Do I need a double u joint coming from the column?

Any advice and pics of your setup would really help. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
You should only need two regular u-joints and a single shaft without a support bearing. Your headers may not allow for this since they were not built for the clip, so it is possible you may need to go to a 3 u-joint system with a support bearing. Cut down a yard stick to size and see where the shaft will lay between the column and rack to check for clearance.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cut down a yard stick to size and see where the shaft will lay between the column and rack to check for clearance
Good idea. I will have to mock something up this weekend.

If anyone out there has pics of their steering setup with an aftermarket clip can you post them? I want to see how much clearance there is near the headers.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have a 62 with a MII front. I got a junker pontiac column and used borgeson joints, just two and their vibration dampener. http://www.borgeson.com/VibrationReducers/INLINE DAMPENER.html

My headers are CLOSE, too close maybe. But Ill end up getting new headers or reworking these anyway cause they are too close to the lower control arm shaft nut too. Some crappy pics for you, hard to get in there with the camera. JR

fiero column

Ok, try to ignore the rust and crappy weld and "STUFF". Im a hacker :) And shes not even close to being done. Thats what happens when a car sits for 14 years.

Column to floorboard. I made a bearing housing for the floorboard. Its sealed for water and fumes too. Adapter is double D to round.

Shaft coming out of the floorboard to an adapter. All borgeson stuff.

Top joint

Shaft

Bottom joint. The dampener is under the K-member right to the R/P shaft.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
i'm getting ready to do this myself on my heidts front clip, since my headers should be here any day. I just have 1 question about your drawing.... i've always seen the vibration damper down off of the rack, not up near the column (on your sketch)..... is it cool to put it in either place or were you told to put it up top?

i'm curious about this thread and need some ideas too!

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
When I talked to Flaming River they said the location of the damper did not matter.Where ever it fits the best

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've done this junk yard column conversion on my 64. I used the 72-78 GM van tilt column on mine along with a late model u-joint and adjustable length steering shaft that has what I think is a damper built into it.
Of course there are a variety of columns to choose from depending on if you want to keep the key in the dash or shifter on the column. Anything is possible if you're good at mixing and matching.
Also look around at different models for the various steering shafts and u-joints while you are junkyard dogging for a column.
I would try to stick with DD or splined shafts all the way for their inherent saftey factor.
Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts