Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a 70 nova and noticed that the power steering is really touchy. its hard to keep it straight on the freeway but no play at all. the previous owner put a smaller steering wheel on it would that make it do this? its going to be my daughters daily driver so i want to make sure everything is right.
thanks im new to Nova ownership so might be a dumb question

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Get a front end alignment first. The toe could be out ,and makeing it feel like you are making it feel like you are on trolley tracks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks that is exactly how it feels. i get no shakes or anything when driving it all the way up to at least 70:rolleyes::D so i figured the alignment was good ill have to get it checked

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
That's the problem with the stock alignment specs that were designed for the old skinny bias ply tires. I just rebuilt the entire front end on the Ventura, new A arms, bushings, balljoints, tie rods, idler arm, shocks, springs, swaybar end links, everything. I got a set of alignment specs from David Pozzi's web site and the alignment tech pretty much refused to use them. He set it to stock specs and it drives just like you're describing. It's controlable, but the slightest movement of the steering wheel and it reacts pretty aggresively. The "tech" argued about tire wear with the added caster I wanted, saying the tires would lean in too much. Apparently he had no idea how to set the caster without adding a bunch of camber to it, even though he said he'd been dong alignments for 20 years. Get the front aligned, but do some research on alignment specs first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts